First Mod -- Internet System -- Went Well :)

rmchad

Heartland Owner
I took my Sundance 3300RLB out of storage over the weekend and will be taking it on a trip this weekend -- first one with the family. I need Internet for work and I need to work on the trip, so I made my first mod with some pointers from this forum.

I purchased a wireless router, 3db amp, and Wilson truck antenna from the 3GStore. The antenna went on the ladder with the cable running through the refrig vent. I removed the microwave oven to fish a wire to a 12-volt light as a source for the router and amp. I added a power switch that is mounted in the cabinet of the microwave and fished all of the wires up through the top of cabinet. There is just enough room on the top for the router and amp to sit and this was a good place for the antenna wire to end up because it is next to the refrig. I will try to post pictures later.

The mod went better than expected -- I didn't break anything in the process;)

I still need to find a way to hold the antenna cable down on the roof -- there is about 6 feet of cable lying on the roof between the refrig vent and the ladder. I was thinking of using a few small strips of Dicor Roof Patch to hold it in place.

Anyone see problems with this approach?

ChopperBill

They make regular plastic cable clamps to screw into the roof. Then put a dab if Dicor on them. Or they make a cable tie that that has a self adhesive back you can stick to the roof and use a cable tie to secure the cable. I would go for the first pollution as it seems more permanent.

BruteForce

What 3G hardware did you go with? I'm looking at the CradlePoint MBR1000. It supports up to 2x 3/4g USB Broadband devices, 64 wireless connections and unlimited hard-cabled Ethernet. Did you see any value add in extending the antenna outside the RV?

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi Bruteforce -- I am also using the MBT1000. We'll do the first real-world test next week on a 2000 mile trip. We expect to be in a lot of fringe coverage areas and wanted the external antenna and amp to help as much as possible. While I haven't tried this new system yet, I had a small portable antenna in the past (the $29 type that comes with suction cups and can be stuck on a window) and that made the difference between no signal at all and two bars -- enough to work.

SmokeyBare

You can use a dab of Dicor Rubber Roof sealant... (Caulking for Rubber Roof) to secure the wired on the roof. Should get the Non-Leveling caulk and not the self leveling type.

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I think I posted this before but can't find the thread. So I will just post this again.
At my Photobucket you can see what I did to use an antenna on the outside of the trailer. Antenna and mast. The last three photos are not mine but one I saw in a campground. Rather than drill a hole through my trailer I pull the cable in through the edge of a slide down near the floor. Connect the antenna cable to a Amplifier then to my router. Below is a list of equipment I got from EVDO Alex at the 3GStore.com
1 ea. Direct Connect Amplifier (3 Watt) - 811201
1 ea. AC Power Supply For Amplifier - 859903
1 ea. U727 / USB727
1 ea. Sprint Novatel U720 Rev A USB - Refurbished
1 ea. U720/USB720 Adapter Cable - 359909
1 ea. 20' RG-58 Cable - FME/Female to N/Male - 951104
1 ea. Indoor/Outdoor Dual-Band Directional Panel Antenna - 301135
1 ea. CradlePoint MBR1000 EVDO/HSDPA Router

When not using the mast and amplifier I just use a booster antenna such as the one here on the 3Gstore.

So far this keeps me on the internet. I was even able to connect in Rockport near the Goose Island SP where there was the same as no signal without this equipment.

I do not have the Router permanently installed but some day it may come about.

FWIW, this is what I do.

BC

rmchad

Heartland Owner
HI Bob -- I do recall seeing your setup someplace in the forum. Thanks for sharing again. I would expect the directional antenna to be very good at pulling in weak signals when necessary.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
This looks like a good solution -- I'd rather not add holes to the roof and there won't be a lot of force on the cable. I'll try to find these and try them out.

BruteForce

All my similar equipment is en route. Got the amplifier, the RV antenna w/mount, the MBR1000, cables, power supply - etc. Can't wait to wire everything up. I'm using a Verizon PC760 USB card though.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I think I posted this before but can't find the thread. So I will just post this again.
At my Photobucket you can see what I did to use an antenna on the outside of the trailer. Antenna and mast. The last three photos are not mine but one I saw in a campground. Rather than drill a hole through my trailer I pull the cable in through the edge of a slide down near the floor. Connect the antenna cable to a Amplifier then to my router. Below is a list of equipment I got from EVDO Alex at the 3GStore.com
1 ea. Direct Connect Amplifier (3 Watt) - 811201
1 ea. AC Power Supply For Amplifier - 859903
1 ea. U727 / USB727
1 ea. Sprint Novatel U720 Rev A USB - Refurbished
1 ea. U720/USB720 Adapter Cable - 359909
1 ea. 20' RG-58 Cable - FME/Female to N/Male - 951104
1 ea. Indoor/Outdoor Dual-Band Directional Panel Antenna - 301135
1 ea. CradlePoint MBR1000 EVDO/HSDPA Router

When not using the mast and amplifier I just use a booster antenna such as the one here on the 3Gstore.

So far this keeps me on the internet. I was even able to connect in Rockport near the Goose Island SP where there was the same as no signal without this equipment.

I do not have the Router permanently installed but some day it may come about.

FWIW, this is what I do.

BC

Bob, What do you have invested in this setup?

BruteForce

Bump!

After adding the Antenna to the top of my ladder, my total height is now 14'. Seems my antenna is now the tallest point on my rig. I hope this doesn't cause me issues w/bridges, etc. going forward.

jbeletti

The bridges won't care but your antenna radials won't like it. I whacked 1 of my radials off the antenna the first trip out last month.

Nature of the beast I guess if you want to get it up high.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Jim,
What about mounting your antenna to the awesome flagpole of yours. Then you would have it up really high.

Another thought would be to permanently mount the flagpole in the coach, have it extend by electric or hydraulics with the push of a button. Similar to the news vans with their extendable poles for transmitting the news. Maybe another Heartland innovation????