want to replace tires on 2008 BC 3300

plowboy

if things workout I will pull trigger on a 08 BC 3300 this week. it has the tires that came on it. what would be a good replacement for the ST235/80R-G tires

jnbhobe

From what I see available for a G rated replacement right now I would buy nothing but Goodyear 614s. Thats just my opinion good luck. JON

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We are in the same situation trying to figure out what to replace on our BC (6000 lbs axles). I was looking and getting ready to order the GY 614s but after the dealership looked at the the trailer axle and frame setup, the spacing is way too tight and the trailer will rub the frame traveling down a rough road. Looks like the Goodyear Marathons will be the only thing that will work. Not happy about putting back on 235/80sr16, would rather have the little bit bigger tire but I also don't wont to run the risk of a rub-blow out.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Nabo, as far as I know the Goodyear Marathons only go to an "E" rated tire. If that is true and you plan on using E rated tires, personally I would run Maxxis only because I had a bad experience with Marathons.

Best of Luck!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Nabo, as far as I know the Goodyear Marathons only go to an "E" rated tire. If that is true and you plan on using E rated tires, personally I would run Maxxis only because I had a bad experience with Marathons.

Best of Luck!
I agree.....have seen too many Marathons fly apart.

jnbhobe

I guess if I was worried about the clearance I would get a couple of 235-85-R16 LR-E used tires and mount them up and put them on the trailer. Then you can make up your own mind weather they will clear or not. :confused: JON

Dave012

Is the difference in size really that much? I was just looking at the websites and the outside diameter of the G614, the Marathon, and the Towmaster (thats whats on my trailer) were all 30.7. The difference in tire width was quite small. G614 - 9.5; Marathon 9.2; Towmaster 9.3.

Not sure what the width is on your existing tires, but on mine the difference of .2 inches (so .1 on each side of the tire) in additional width doesn't seem like it would cause a rubbing problem. What am I missing?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Is the difference in size really that much? I was just looking at the websites and the outside diameter of the G614, the Marathon, and the Towmaster (thats whats on my trailer) were all 30.7. The difference in tire width was quite small. G614 - 9.5; Marathon 9.2; Towmaster 9.3.

Not sure what the width is on your existing tires, but on mine the difference of .2 inches (so .1 on each side of the tire) in additional width doesn't seem like it would cause a rubbing problem. What am I missing?
The 85 series they are telling him to buy are an inch taller than the 80's he has on there now...so that means they are an inch closer together.
I think his tires are only 2" apart now.

fhollan

One year ago this month I replaced the original tires with Maxxis tires, had the wheels balanced and valves replaced. If replaced with 85's I would have had problems.

Dave012

The 85 series they are telling him to buy are an inch taller than the 80's he has on there now...so that means they are an inch closer together.
I think his tires are only 2" apart now.

Still not sure I understand because the website lists the 80 Marathon and the 85 G614 as the same outside diameter. How can two tires with the same outside diameter have a different height? Does the diameter measurement not take something into account?:confused:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Still not sure I understand because the website lists the 80 Marathon and the 85 G614 as the same outside diameter. How can two tires with the same outside diameter have a different height? Does the diameter measurement not take something into account?:confused:

You are right.......shows the 80 Marathon 235/80/16 30.7" tall
85 G614 LT 235/85/16 30.7" tall
Strange math there, the 85 series should be taller.

Joe G

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Plowboy,
For what it is worth I have a 2008 BC 2950RK and I replaced the original ST235/80R 16 tires with the Goodyear ST 235/85R 16 G614's. I've put about 500 miles on the new tires and have had no problem with any of the clearances.