Towing our new big country 3490rb

flip

Hi everyone we just purchased recently a new Big Country 3490rb and I tow it with a 2006 dodge Megacab 1 ton srw.truck pulls it fine just wondering if anybody else towing one of these with a srw truck noticed any rear end sway at highway speeds.I have installed Helwig rear stabilizer kit and Firestone air bags on the rear.Is this something I'll just have to get used to were the unit is so tall ? I don't really want to buy a dually because we travel with it twice a year and trucks paid for.Would an air hitch help?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have an 09 Dodge 3500 srw pulling our BC 3250 without any problems. I have not done any modification to the truck and it pulls the rig without any swaying. The current 5th wheel hitch (Reece 16K) is the same one that I installed 6 years ago and have used thru 3 different rigs. The only time there might be a sway is when an 18 wheeler comes barrelling past me.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I pull a Bighorn 3385 with a late 2007 Megacab 3500 SRW absolutely stock. No sway issues, not even in high winds. I know that I am a little over the GVWR of the truck. I have a Pullright Superglide hitch.

flip

Sounds like its just me then our last unit was a 29 foot prowler with sloped front and no bedroom slide didn't feel it hardly on the truck.These Big countries are tall and very spacious inside we love it and i guess i'll get used to it thanks very much for the input folks theres nothing like asking folks that are experienced when we are starting out cheers!

Ran across your thread and thought I'd ask a question. Is your 5th wheel level when towing? If it is too high in the front it could cause it to sway more than normal. If that is the case, hitch and/or pin box adjustments may be necessary to level the trailer. May not be your problem but thought i'd throw it out there to look at.

caissiel

I have now sway problem with my F250 neither.

I had 2 extra plies of spring on each side on the rear of the truck and I found it to stiff on the ride.

So I removed the long extra plie on each side and took the unit for a ride. The ride was improved in being softer but I did not like the sway.

So I removed the shorter plie and replaced the longer plie and the ride was much improved. I have heard of the F250 Main ply breaking so I like the extra ply next to the main ply reinforcing the main. My Springs on the rear are similar to the F350 single wheel now.

These trailers are realy easy to pull compared to the past trailers I have pulled. This heavy unit is easier to pull them my old 11000 lbs unit.

P.S I do have G tires with 110bs air on the unit.

scotty

Tow 06 Big Horn 3400 with an 07 Dodge 3500 SRW, Firestone Bags, otherwise stock. No sway. haven't actually 5er yet, but feels like less tongue weight then previous 30 Ft SOB. This may be due to rear slides and much more overhang being more aft of axles.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hi everyone we just purchased recently a new Big Country 3490rb and I tow it with a 2006 dodge Megacab 1 ton srw.truck pulls it fine just wondering if anybody else towing one of these with a srw truck noticed any rear end sway at highway speeds.I have installed Helwig rear stabilizer kit and Firestone air bags on the rear.Is this something I'll just have to get used to were the unit is so tall ? I don't really want to buy a dually because we travel with it twice a year and trucks paid for.Would an air hitch help?
How did you pipe the air supply to the air bags.....seperate or tee'ed together?

flip

i drilled two holes next the license plate in the plastic casing and installed them separate usually run 20 to 30 psi air when hooked up seems to sit perfect stops people from flashing the high beams when driving in the night time .

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
i drilled two holes next the license plate in the plastic casing and installed them separate usually run 20 to 30 psi air when hooked up seems to sit perfect stops people from flashing the high beams when driving in the night time .
Sounds like you piped them correctly....you should not have any sway. You have an aftermarket rear sway bar, could it possibly be installed wrong? If your running the stock factory shocks its time to replace them with Bilsteins.

Hi Flip,

I'll put my two cents in here. It sounds like you MAY have too much weight in rear of rig???? Even on my 30 ft enclosed utility trailer (pulled for 12 years), IF I load fore/aft CG past the dual axles, i get sidesway. It sounds like a "loading" issue, even though it is a 5er. I pull a 2011BH3600RL with my '02 Duramax, Firestone Airshocks at 40PSI, I sometimes forget the rig is back there. I prefer the KISS method. Don't spend a bunch of buck$ until you strangle all the OTHER simple possibilities. Spend a small amount of dollars and get your setup to a CAT scale and check your load/balance fore/aft.

Al Worrell, Milford MI

lwmcguir

You must have heavy duty springs to run such low air pressures in the bags loaded and towing. Most folks will see 50-70 psig when loaded up. You might try higher pressure during the day since it will / should raise your bed and the front of the coach. If this helps then you might have to do some other adjusting.

lwmcguir

Sounds like you piped them correctly....you should not have any sway. You have an aftermarket rear sway bar, could it possibly be installed wrong? If your running the stock factory shocks its time to replace them with Bilsteins.

you will have less sway issues with the bags tied together. The load on the truck should be very similar on each rear wheel. Not the case for the camper however.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
SUPER SWAYS with a sway lock on the mount and air bags...........................done NO PROBLEM!!!!!!