General questions

mrmagoo

My wife and I have been looking at the Bighorn 5th wheel's and we have a few questions.

We have been looking at the 3185, 3410, 3610 and 3670

1 - we have noticed that there are no external speakers or jacks for external speakers. Has anyone found a way to add an external audio source?

2 - I am towing with a 2005 Chevy Duramax. Is it enough truck for these campers?

3 - What have you found as the best way to carry bikes? Is it possible to install 2" hitch/receiver on the back for a bike carrier?

4 - What are your thoughts on installing a washer/dryer? We have heard they are too small and very slow... in general many people are not happy with them once installed. I don't want to add the extra weight or spend the extra $$ if it is not a useful option.

5 - we are getting mixed signals from the dealers, can the 14 CU ft refer be added to the models I have listed?

6 - These rigs come with the electric rear jacks... They appear to be controlled by a single switch, and lower at the same time. Do they equalize before attempting to support the camper (like hydraulic jacks?) or do we need to attempt to make them hit the ground at the same time? Most of the camp grounds I have been in are not level sites... With the individual crank jacks this is not a problem... What is your thought on these jacks?

jimtoo

Hi mrmagoo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed or share information.

External speakers you would just have to run wiring as none is provided in the Big Horns.

I tow my 3055 with a 04 Duramax CC Dually with no problems... I would think you should do find if you have a 3500. (2500 maybe a little light for the 3610 or 3670, but people do it.)

People add hitches to rear, but you would need to check. Voids frame warranty.,,, There are some that have made a mount for the pin box that works good.

Washer and dryer... you hear good and bad...we do not have one.

I am pretty sure you can add the larger fridge to all, but you would loose the pantry.

The rear jacks do equalize when they contact the ground, so that they lift the same. Made for stabilizing only, not leveling.

I am sure you will get more answers and maybe different opinions also.

Enjoy the forum and hope we can count you as a member of the family.

Jim M

mrmagoo

Jim,

Thanks for the input...

And I did leave out the important tid-bit... my Duramax is a 2500 ... I was thinking it would be lacking fo the 36xx series...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, a 2500 is too light for any BH that has a gross weight rating of over 14K. Go to the HL site at look at the GROSS weight ratings on the trailers you like. You also need to be concerned about pin weight. Most of the bigger BH's are about 3-4K. Your truck has a GCVW rating of 22K. Our BH and 2500 loaded for camping weighs in at 21K. That is with the fresh water tank empty. You can pull anything with a D/A combo..it the same drive train as a 3500....BUT. A 3500 has a GCVW rating of 23500. So you could legally pull one of the bigger BH's. BTW, the new 2011 3500 has a GCVW rating of 27500....that will pull anything. JMHO Bob

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You've heard about the rest, so I'll chime in on the washer/dryer. We have the Splendide combo in our 3670. It is very convenient for doing small loads, up to about 11 lbs., so you don't have to run back/forth to the laundromat to wash your socks & undies. It does take about 90 minutes to wash and dry, and stuff will come out a bit wrinkled. With it mounted in the bedroom closet, you can feel the vibration in the rear of the trailer when it starts starts the spin cycle/drying, but it's not excessive (if you've stabilized your rig). My wife wanted it and she likes it. It will add about 120 lbs. to the weight in the front of the rig.

K

Kevin_Finn

1. We do not offer external speakers for Bighorn/Landmark (Some customers put a radio in the storage compartment)
2. From what I understand of trucks the 3185 might be OK but the larger units would need a 1 ton diesel.
3. We now offer a 1 1/4" hitch as an option.
4. Any of our units that have washer/dryer prep will now handle stackable washer/dryer. This is much better than a combo unit.
5. The 14 cu. ft. refer is available on all of the floor plans you have listed. Remember you lose the pantry when you option this.
6. The jacks are stabilizers and will not work independent of one another.

I hope this answers your questions and look forward to earning your business!

Last edited by a moderator: