Reviews of using a Gooseneck hitch?

mmathias3

Hey Guys,
I am interested in getting some feedback from those of you who have used a gooseneck hitch to tow your 5th wheel. I currently don't have any hitch in my truck and something makes me think that being able to not have rails in my bed all the time might be more convenient as I use my truck for work everyday. However, if it makes for more stable towing, than a regular 5th wheel hitch will have to do.
Thanks for your help!

jimtoo

Hi mmathias3,

I do not tow with a gooseneck hitch. There are a couple of hitches on the market that give you the option of goose neck ball or setting a fifth wheel hitch in the bed on the ball... One is the Turnoverball hitch by B & W. Leaves a nice open bed, no rails, expensive.

If you do buy and tow a fifth wheel rv with a gooseneck hitch or conversion, you will void your warranty I am sure.

Jim M

trvlrerik

I am using the B/W Companion hitch, I already had the B/W popup ball for gooseneck trailers before I got my Cyclone. The system works great, if I need an empty bed I can remove the fifth wheel hitch in under 5 minutes and I do not kill my back getting it in/out of the bed. There are some other hitch manufacturers that leave a "clean" bed, that I do not have any experience with, but the B/W system has worked flawlessly for me.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have had a B&W Turnoverball with the 5th wheel companion hitch in my truck since 2006. If I were to start over again I would use it again.

As stated above, the companion hitch comes out in two parts, both of which are about 50# making it able to be removed by most people and leaving a clear bed.

The Gooseneck hitch is good for 30,00# and the Companion 5th wheel is good to 18,000#. If you have a trailer bigger than 18,000# you will need a large TV, bigger than a 250/2500 or 350/3500 maybe in bigger than a 450/4500. I don't think Heartland builds a trailer as big as 18K.

FWIW
BC

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Let me throw my 2 cents worth in here. I have the B&W system with the companion 5th wheel hitch. This is my 3rd generation truck to have the system and I love it. In fact, I've got a gooseneck adapter for the trailer just sitting in my shed collecting dust that I'd love to sell:D:D

In my opinion the B&W system is well worth the money because it leaves the truck bed completely free and unobstruted when you are not towing, but gives you all the towing capacity you'll ever need when you do want to hook up.

Go with the extra money and get the B&W system that is unless you want to buy the gooseneck adapter I have:D It'll void your warranty but I'd be happy:D

Bighurt

I have had a B&W Turnoverball with the 5th wheel companion hitch in my truck since 2006. If I were to start over again I would use it again.

As stated above, the companion hitch comes out in two parts, both of which are about 50# making it able to be removed by most people and leaving a clear bed.

The Gooseneck hitch is good for 30,00# and the Companion 5th wheel is good to 18,000#. If you have a trailer bigger than 18,000# you will need a large TV, bigger than a 250/2500 or 350/3500 maybe in bigger than a 450/4500. I don't think Heartland builds a trailer as big as 18K.

FWIW
BC

The F450 08-10 is rated at 23K 5th wheel towing, and the cyclone is listed as a GVW of 18K

lwmcguir

This has came up several times and you will find quite a few comments on the old forums pages if you check back. Lippert will void your warranty if you even look at a goose neck hitch. However we have pulled all of our fifth wheel trailers with them since they came out with fifth wheels. That goes back a few years before they had factory build diesel pickup trucks as well. Never had a problem and have stayed with them as we pull our heavier trailers (much heavier than the August) with them. The extra leverage can put more stress on the frame if you happen to have both axles in a big hole or something like that when you are traveling at hi way speed. Whether or not the Lippert frames can take as much stress as the other manufacturers, currently the jury is still out. There are several Heartland and Lippert frames on other SOB's that are being towed by fifth wheel hitches. If you think about it, all you want is the Coach to follow you and stop when you do. If the frame cant handle that then it most likely is built to weak in the first place. Having said that we try to minimize the stress on all of our trailers by using air all around and not driving like a nut.

suark

I have the B&W also, excellent hitch. I found the best deals on ebay, $399 shipped for the turnover ball, $799 shipped for the Companion.