Truck bed cover with combo tool box & transfer tank installed

RollingHome

:confused:Folks,

I want to put a combo transfere tank & toolbox into my bed behind the cab. It will be below the bed rails. I will need access to this tank to fill it and also to get into the lift top toolbox when RVing. I was going to put a soft roll up cover on because I will need it out of the way when I'm towing the 5th wheel. After reading another thread I am starting to think I may be able to get a hard fold up type which has more security. Any comments, has anyone done this or is this not possible ? I know very little about the fold up types, in fact, I don't remember ever seeing one... Also let me know of any down side to the hard covers. I live in a climate that goes from 20F to 90 F typically. I have never had ANY tonneau cover on any truck, only camper tops so any info may be helpful.

In advance Thanks, Tom

davebennington

Rollinghome,

We have a 60 gallon fuel tank/toolbox by RDS in our truck, the bed cover we have is a Truxedo soft cover that rolls up out of the way when towing. So far this has worked out fine. The one thing that you have to keep mind is some kind of a step to use when you are filling the in the bed tank. Trucks now days are too tall to just reach over the side and fill the tank.
The RDS tank can be plumbed directly into the main tank by gravity feed or the way I did was to install a fuel pump and shut off valve either will work.

Hope this helps

Dave

brunsje

Biggest problem with my soft cover is trying to get it snapped/fastened when the temp is below 32 degrees. A hard cover would be nice but I have found they are not cheap!

RollingHome

To All, Thanks for the feed back. I have to do some homework yet. Jerry, I've heard from others the snaps are tough I was hoping I can find one that uses Velcro or something other then snaps. Dave, does the Tuxedo cover go over the RDS tank and filler cap, in other words when you are NOT towing and you are all buttoned up is everything out of sight ? Also Dave, I carry a Stanley 2 step stool to use the high bed. I have a slight handicap and my legs aren't what they used to be so the stool is an absolute and works great. Has either of you seen a Fold A Cover hard Tonneau cover ?

Bighurt

Have you considered a Titan tank replacement? I don't know about you but when I'm towing I'm fine with losing bed space to a TB/Fuel cell combo but as a contractor, bed space is something that is very valuable. I myself am weighing the same options...

Tom of Ypsi

I had the Truxedo cover on my last truck and it had velcro down both sides of the bed rails. It was on my truck for 4 1/2 years wth no problems at all and it covered my tank toobox combo.

davebennington

RollingHome,

The Truxedo cover has velcro on both sides to hold it down so far no problems in the past 4 years. It does cover the tank and fill cap and rolls up out of the way when the trailer is hooked up. The step stool should work fine for you we have full running boards on the truck and it makes it easier to fill the tank when needed.

Dave

RollingHome

Bighurt, Actually I did consider the Titan under body tank. But, I am also going to use the topside transfer tank to fuel my Kubota tractors. In addition, I'm one of those "cheap" guys who is always looking for a bargain :) If I see diesel at a low price, I'll tank up... just makes me feel like I'm winning - I know, I can't win against THEM... but, thinking I did feels good. I certainly can understand why as a contractor you need the 8' bed and the Titan makes sense for you. I like what I'm hearing about the Tuxedo top and RDS combo tank. Still would like to hear more about that hard Fold a Cover though. This forum is really a useful tool.

Bighurt

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of Fueling up when you want. Who knows I may get me a drop in bed tank for vacations...

Cheers

wdk450

"The one thing that you have to keep mind is some kind of a step to use when you are filling the in the bed tank. Trucks now days are too tall to just reach over the side and fill the tank."

I use 2 of those plastic, flat folding stepstools. I rigged up a flat piece of wood to interface between them with drywall screws around the leg points and around the stool top on the other side of the board. This keeps the stools in place, and gets me up over the bed for hitching, etc. The entire setup folds flat in a few seconds and stores in the tooldbox.

cashb

We bought two covers for our two trucks and they have worked very well! I think they are called K covers, and they fold up like bi-fold doors to lay on top of the aux fuel tank/tool box combo. It is hard and has locks for security. It will also fold the other way (toward rear of bed) to access the tool box. We've had them for several years and they fit the bill for us! Sounds like your set-up is the same as ours. Hope this helps. By the way, I had had the soft covers years ago and hated them due to the snap situation and shrinking of the material.