Fascia Nails

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
When our new Big Country was delivered last month, I noticed that the nails securing the fascia boards on the slides not only show but seem to not be driven far enough into the wood. Looks like the wood filler is working it's way out!

Does anyone else have issues with the nails protruding a bit out of the fascia trim? Seems to be worse in the bedroom. And if you do/did, how was it fixed?

And...some of the nice quarter round trim along the ceiling is backing out! How long of a nail can I use without fear of creating a leak or doing some unknown damage?

Many thanks!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
UHHMMM.. that fascia is NOT wood. It is foam board or at least it is on a 2009. Forget the nails. If the fascia is falling off, remove the fascia completely from the slide frame. Be very careful not to crack the fascia. A good wonder bar (flat bar) makes it very easy.
Remove all the nails and go to a hardware store and pickup some molding adhesive. Very fast drying. Use it liberally. Any holes can be filled with regular wood filler and then stain the filler. You can even get stained or tinted filler.
I installed lights behind our fascia on the two L/R slides and had to pull the fascia off to run the wires to a 120 source. Not much holding them on when new. The adhesive will work better in this case.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The fascia is not falling off, I just don't like looking at the nail holes! I thought it might be some type of plastic or something! I wonder why they used nails?

I appreciate the information! Thanks!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
The fascia is not falling off, I just don't like looking at the nail holes! I thought it might be some type of plastic or something! I wonder why they used nails?

I appreciate the information! Thanks!

Very quick.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might be able to use a small nailset to drive the brads in a little deeper, then repack the holes with wood filler. Depends on whether or not there's anything behind the trim to nail into or if they just shot blind and got styrofoam. If MDF trim or wallboards are pulling away, forget nails and use the Liquid Nails (Gold, I think) made for MDF. There are two types, one for real wood and the other for MDF. I had to reattach a inner wall panel in the main slide last summer that was delaminating from the outer wall with it.