Tail Lights

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
For future reference...How do I get inside the tail lights to change bulbs? Does the black rubber mount just pull out?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
SJH, unless your taillamps are different than mine. There is not a bulb to change. They are a sealed unit. If you are going to remove them. Relace them with LED's. I bought mine from Harbor Freight.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the info! Never occurred to me they are sealed lights! I am used to the older style tail lights wih bulbs!

jnbhobe

Sorry I didn't explain that I just took it for granit that you knew they were sealed. Bob is compleatly right on the LED's, What a difference. We have both replaced all our exterior lights with LED's. JON

Bob&Patty

SJH, I did the same as Jon. I replaced every lite on the coach with LED's. I even added some extra lites and mid-ship turn signals. Here are some pix. Looks like a Christmas tree now, could not miss it the fog. I turned them on at nite and had airplanes landing in the driveway.

Attachments

• trailer mods 024 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 024 (Large).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 49
  • trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 53
  • trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 54
  • trailer mods 026 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 026 (Large).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 51

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
SJH, I did the same as Jon. I replaced every lite on the coach with LED's. I even added some extra lites and mid-ship turn signals. Here are some pix. Looks like a Christmas tree now, could not miss it the fog. I turned them on at nite and had airplanes landing in the driveway.

OK! I have been waiting patiently for you to post the pics of the airplanes landing. I wish I had a driveway that large , guess I had better not change mine over to LED's......Kenny

loafer

Hey Bob
Cool pics of your new Landing Lights .You might be able to get a part time job installing them there Landing Lights at the rally,s you go to.
Love the pic of the old war bird nice shot, lots of details on those old planes.
keep up the good work
Bill

Bob&Patty

Loafer, I have seen this B-17. Its the "909". It and others come out here to the airport in our town. For $400.00 you can take a flight in it. I like to go over and watch them take off and land. At night after they are done for the day, you can walk around them. Sure are small compared to what we have today. Our home sits on the flight path...so ..I get to sit in the back yard and watch them fly over. Rattles the windows. Last year we had several P 51's flying around and 1 P-38 (the Bumble Bee). I do like the war birds. Bob

Last edited:

jimtoo

Loafer, I have seen this B-17. Its the "909". It and other come out here to the airport in our town. For $400.00 you can take a flight in it. I like to go over and watch them take off and land. At night after they are done for the day, you can walk around them. Sure are small compared to what we have today. Our home sits on the flight path...so ..I get to sit in the back yard and watch them fly over. Rattles the windows. Last year we had several P 51's flying around and 1 P-38 (the Bumble Bee). I do like the war birds. Bob

This group is to be in Rockport, Texas this next week. Just in case anyone is interested in a tour or look see. They have a gentleman that was a radio operator that flew 30 missions in one of the B 24's going to take a ride. He lives in Corpus Christi.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Loafer, I have seen this B-17. Its the "909". It and other come out here to the airport in our town. For $400.00 you can take a flight in it. I like to go over and watch them take off and land. At night after they are done for the day, you can walk around them. Sure are small compared to what we have today. Our home sits on the flight path...so ..I get to sit in the back yard and watch them fly over. Rattles the windows. Last year we had several P 51's flying around and 1 P-38 (the Bumble Bee). I do like the war birds. Bob
Which brings me to talk about my trip to El Centro last weekend. We have a friend (retired Navy) that is at the campground at the Naval Air Facility there and it was the weekend of their annual Air Show featuring the Blue Angels. I guess it's their winter home and practice area (all day, every day) for them. What a great show. There were quite a few old warbirds there as well. The down side of the day was my camera batteries went south. Actually it was the charger and AA's won't do as a replacement. Anyway, I love air shows. Can't wait for Oshkosh this summer.

Bob&Patty

Jim, that should be the "Confederate Airforce". They are based in Texas. I'm not sure if the "909" is part of that group. It belongs to the Collingsworth Foundation. They also have the only flying B-24, at least they did a few years ago. If you ever get out to Calif., you should go to the Chino airport. They have war birds that you wont believe. They even have a ME 262 and some early Migs. Bob

Last edited:

jimtoo

Jim, that should be the "Confederate Airforce". They are based in Texas. I'm not sure if the "909" is part of that group. It belongs to the Collingsworth Foundation. They also have to only flying B-24, at least they did a few years ago. If you ever get out to Calif., you should go to the Chino airport. They have war birds that you wont believe. They even have a ME 262 and some early Migs. Bob

This is link to article in the Corpus Christi Caller paper. It list group as Collings Foundation and Wings of Freedom and the B-17 as the "Nine O Nine". They were here either last year or the year before also.

The Confederate Airforce has been pretty quite since they moved from the RGV to Northwest Texas, Midland maybe.. forgot where... but I don't think they are doing as much any more.... I think in the valley they had a lot of support from the retirees...but the airport wanted to charge them more rent than they could afford, so they moved about 15 years or so I think it was.

Jim M

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Jim, you might be right on that. I had the video from the Collingsworth Foundation at one time with the restoration and the story of the B-24. They found it in India. It was being used to spray crops...WHAT?? I have seen it in flight here in Riverside Calif. One of the guys I work with was a B-17 pilot in germany in 1944. Met another gentleman that is/was a survivor of the USS Indianapolis. Bob

loafer

Bob
Thanks for the info you are lucky to be that close to all that flying history.Lots of my car friends also like old planes as well .
If we get down your way next year would love to get to one of those airshows you speak of
Thanks Bill

Bob&Patty

Hi Bill, well I guess old cars and old airplanes just go together. Maybe its my age. Had Uncles on carriers in the pacific in WW11. heard lots of stories about that place and time. If your down this way...give us a shout. We would happy to show you around. Bob