3500RL air conditioning

MOMIKE

I have a new 2011 big Country 3500RL. I am currently in Quartzsite AZ. The temp yesterday was 86 and the 15000btu ac had a real hard time keeping the trailer cool enough. The air temp comming from the vents seemed cool but I have my doubts that one 15000 ac will cool this big of a unit especially since it is dark grey in color and soaks up a lot of sun. I finally went outside and sat in the shade. It was much cooler. Anyone else have a similar problem???

jgallego

You probably need to add another a/c in the bedroom. That is what we had to do. As soon as I brought mine home I realized that the one a/c would not keep it cool especially here in Texas. I had a Carrier 13.5 low profile installed in the bedroom that same week.

Jaime

jimtoo

Yes,, for the warm climates, you will need two A/C's to cool it down and on a hot day to keep it cool. We live in South Texas, camp a lot in the South, so we use two to cool it down and then normally the main will do the job. If you do the modification posted by timk some time back. It is easy to do and it really does help the volume of air flow which will give you much better cooling from the one unit. Check out this modification to A/C discharge. But also check your outlets in the ceiling to make sure they are sealed around the duct connection and even look in the ducts with a mirror and light to try and make sure the ducts are connected properly.

Jim M

ChopperBill

86 doesn't seem HOT to me. Bet you aren't getting enough air flow. You need to do the Timk "tent in the vent". I did it to mine and I can sit in the recliner and it feels like I am sitting in front of a fan.

bill40

I guess there must be something wrong with my 3500RL, went were in the west last summer for little over four months total. There were several weeks when the temp was 100+. No I could not get the inside temp in to the 60's but the unit was comfortable. Maybe that is because old guys don't need it that cold. Just a thought but you seem to have a problem with the current AC.

caissiel

I don't use the A/C much but I always open the top bedroom vent while the trailer cools off with the A/C on.
Its like in a Car you need to eject the trapped hot air first before the unit cools the rest of the unit.
Cool air stays low and hot air travels upward.

tmcran

Living in Texas I don't consider 86 to be hot. Our Sundance will handle that with no problem. We do keep the vents open when traveling and keep the A/C on in the AM so the unit does not have to work so hard in the afternoon. I did the A/C mod and it does increase the air flow.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have a new 2011 big Country 3500RL. I am currently in Quartzsite AZ. The temp yesterday was 86 and the 15000btu ac had a real hard time keeping the trailer cool enough. The air temp comming from the vents seemed cool but I have my doubts that one 15000 ac will cool this big of a unit especially since it is dark grey in color and soaks up a lot of sun. I finally went outside and sat in the shade. It was much cooler. Anyone else have a similar problem???
An easy way to boost your cooling output 10-15% is move more air across condenser coil on the roof, by adding puller or pusher electric fans on the roof. A air conditioner is made to remove the heat not cool the air from the coach. A by-product of removing the heat is cooler air.