RDS Auxilary tank - electric pump added

RSIG

I recently posted a question on the use of an auxilary tank. Many of the replies mentioned they had installed electric pumps, filters and solenoid switches. I would like to hear more with some pictures of these installs if possible.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:

davebennington

RSIG,

I am not at the house and will not be back until next week sometime, I can get a few pictures then. I can try to explain how I set it all up. I pull fuel from the bottom of the tank vs the top port, the I installed a inline fuel filter, the solenoid switch came NAPA as well as the fuel pump, one wire from a switch goes to the solenoid first and then to the fuel pump. I cut the overflow line in the main tank of the truck and put in a "T" fitting attached the line from the fuel pump and everything is good to go from there. The only change I would make and I still may do so is to install a shutoff valve in the line before the fuel filter so I can change the fuel filter without clamping it with vice grips.

Dave

jnbhobe

I have done the same as Dave with the same type of parts.I used a NAPA pump and diesel fuel filter and a soloniod valve http://www.stcvalve.com/solenoid_valve_specifications_and_dimenisons_2W025.htm like this all in 3/8 pipe. I brazed an elbo into the filler neck and I used a fuel filter on a short hose on the vent so there wouldn't be any sloshing of fuel out the vent. Its switched on the dash to the #4 upfitter switch so the ignition has to be on to run the pump. And if I'm not mistaken I pulled the fuel from the top of the tank. JON

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also interested in installing an aux tank. Is the fuel pump required? Won't this setup just gravity feed?

Yes, this setup will gravity feed. You might want to get THIS kit. Easy to install.
Mine is set up with this and a solenoid so I can turn it on from the cab.

Peace
Dave