Looking to purchase a 2812, will my F250 pull it??

zephyr74

Hi,
I am totally new in the market to buy a 5th wheel TH. I like what I see so far with the 2812 (although I haven't seen one in person). My question is I have a 2003 F250 Crew Cab 4X4 with the old 7.3 Diesel. Yes, that's right I ordered my truck in 2002 with the 7.3ltr but it is actually a 2003. If I am planning on putting 2 full size Kingquads in this trailer (they weigh 750 lbs each) plus all of the water weight in the trailer, do I have enough truck for this trailer? I think, if my research is correct, my truck can pull 12,000lbs. Does this take in account tongue weight of the 5th wheel? For example the trailer says it has a GWVR of 14,000, if I load up the trailer so it weighs 14,000lbs but 2,000 is in my bed of my truck on the hitch, is this actually 12,000 lbs that my truck is towing? Any advice on anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Any dealers in Northern California/ Reno area?
Thanks,
Ryan

rideblue

You have to weigh your truck with a full tank of fuel and hitch installed, then include all of the people that will be in the truck when pulling. Then look at your door sticker to find out GVWR-Gross vehicle weight rating. Then find out the expected pin weight of the 5th wheel and add that to your truck weight to see if you even manage the pin weight. I think pin weight is usually around 15-20% of the weight of the trailer. Then somewhere you need to find the GCWR- Gross combined weight rating of the truck. This tells you how much total weight the truck will handle- truck and trailer combined. My 2005 F250 is 23,000 pounds, but your may be a little different. Changes between 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive, and some earlier years aren't rated for as much weight. I'm not sure you will actually be able to fill that 28 footer enough to make it weigh 14,000 pounds, but one never knows. My Cyclone has a GVWR fo 18,000 pounds but I will never get that close to that weight in it. That 7.3 is a good engine and reliable, unlike the 6.0 in my truck. The 6.0 has bigger HP and torque numbers but has a reliabilty issue. Fortunately for me, I have not experienced these yet and am very happy with the truck. Pulls great. Pulling is the easy part with these diesels and trailers. It's the stopping part that can be tricky. Gotta be on your toes and looking far ahead to ensure enough stopping distance. Good luck with your plans. Heartland makes a great rig!

Bighurt

The GVW weight of the trailer is supposed to be less than the tow capacity that the truck is rated for. IE your pickup is rated from Ford for 12800 5th wheel towing with the automatic tranny. That means the trailer should weight less than 12,800 loaded. The hitch weight should be no more than 25% of the max loaded trailer but should not exceed the axle capcity as listed on your data plate. 12800/4=3200 3200 exceeds the max axle weight. The fact that some of the load is on the TV axle doesn't mean its towing less, just that the weight over the axles is closer to equal. There are max single loaded axle weights issed by the DOT, I don't know them off top of my head. This is why lowboys get a third axle...etc.

Can you tow it sure, the weights given by Ford are stock truck, you can modify it and increase the numbers. Will you overload it without mod, its your truck, feel free.

Can you get a ticket from the Highway patrol for exceeding load weights, Yes, but its highly unlikely.

Remember the numbers don't always line up. If you work out max weight truck with max payload truck with max pin weight truck with max trailer weight, you will exceed your GCWR listed on the data plate. There is almost a science to the game, truckers walk the line daily, your profit margin is just under legal.

Dealers will lie through the teeth on what your truck can tow...

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm betting you will be overloaded on the bed payload pin weight by 500-1000lbs. My 08 F-250 4x4 is near the bed payload limit with my loaded up Sundance Ultra-lite.

lwmcguir

I sure would agree with the other posters. You wont have enough truck to do this safely. You could leave all the tanks dry and come closer to being in line with the guides but would have to keep all the extra's out of the coach as well. You really need a F350 or larger to do it right.

caissiel

Your truck will let you know if it is over loaded.
The first sign is the power, second will be the heating of the transmission and the engine.

My friend has the same model at 12800 trailer capacity and he pulls a 14000Lbs with great comfort.
He use to haul a smaller trailer with a smaller truck and it overheated at every hill.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Your truck will let you know if it is over loaded.
The first sign is the power, second will be the heating of the transmission and the engine.

My friend has the same model at 12800 trailer capacity and he pulls a 14000Lbs with great comfort.
He use to haul a smaller trailer with a smaller truck and it overheated at every hill.

Now thats funny! I think the poster was thinking can I tow legally in the US.

caissiel

80% of all the trucks pulling trailers are usually overloaded. Even when the GCVW is shown as capable to pull the weight.

I have run accross many 1/2 tons that are way overloaded but still within their GCVW.