Lipert Axle on Cyclone

CAO

Has anyone had any problems with their Lipert axles. I have a 2010 Cyclone 3010. It had about 800 miles on it when the rear axle feel off of my rig in October in Durango Colorado. I had to leave it at the dealer in Durango for five months while Heartland shipped new parts. I was told by the dealer in Durango that the u-bolts had come loose and broke off causing the axle to fall off.

The axle u-bolts and leaf springs were replaced as well as some cosmetic damage. I was told that Lipert said blue lock tight needed to be used on the u-bolts to keep them from coming loose and I needed to check the torque periodically, and not to over torque them because the threads could stretch causing the u-bolts to loosen. I am a little confused. I would think the axle would need to have a second nut and or a locking nut not just lock tight. The rig is brand new and I was shocked when the axle fell off.

I picked it up at the end of February. I drove it from Durango to Grand Junction Colorado and in that trip I had to re-torque the u-bolts two times. I am a Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspector and I am all about preventive maintenance, but I don't think it is normal to have to re-torque the u-bolts that often. Now Lipert wants to send me a 9/16 inch u-bolt to replace the 1/2 inch u-bolt. Lepert said that should fix the problem.

I still have to get my rig from Grand Junction to Littleton Colorado where I live, but I am afraid to pull it over the mountains. On RV.Net I was told by another owner that they stopped using the Lipert axle on the 3010 and it now has a Dexter axle with the Dexter EZ Equalizer. One post said I should invest in the Dexter EZ Equalizer because my Lipert one is going to break and the bolt holes are going to oblong.

I just spent all my money on this rig I can't afford to be replacing axle parts to a different brand name.

What do some of you RV owners think I should do? I need help!

2010augusta

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear of your problems, but glad the you found a dealer and got the issue fixed. The Lippert stuff should serve you well, but does it is always advisable to check U-bolt torques several times in the first 500 miles and then a couple times a year after that cause the u-bolts will stretch. Some people have had bad problems with Lippert stuff and others have not had problems. Once you get your Trailer back make sure to check the U-bolts before you leave the lot and then again after 100 miles or so.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
CAO, I agree with Alan to a point. You should keep Lippert in the loop and check the nuts once in a while. The point I don't agree on is the fact that "U" bolts stretch. I don't believe that they should. A good nut and lock washer should do.

CAO and Alan, my theory is based on facts, at least my own. I have worked on cars, trucks and almost about everything that moves for over 45 years. I did this for a living, not a hobby. I have owned many cars, trucks, refer and flatbed trailer's. I'm talking about 42' to 45' ft trailer's and Freightliner and Peterbilt class "8" trucks. Driven these vehicles 100k's miles, loaded to 80K and I have never had a "U" bolt stretch or the nuts come loose. I don't even remember having a broken spring. JMHO as usual Bob

Last edited:

lwmcguir

CAO, I agree with Alan to a point. You should keep Lippert in the loop and check the nuts once in a while. The point I don't agree on is the fact that "U" bolts stretch. I don't beleive that they should. A good nut and lock washer should do.

CAO and Alan, my theory is based on facts, at least my own. I have worked on cars, trucks and almost about everything that moves for over 45 years. I did this for a living, not a hobby. I have owned many cars, trucks, refer and flatbed trailer's. I'm talking about 42' to 45' ft trailer's and Freightliner and Peterbilt class "8" trucks. Driven these vehicles 100k's miles, loaded to 80K and I have never had a "U" bolt stretch or the nuts come loose. I don't even remember having a broken spring. JMHO as usual Bob

I have to agree here. We have many different trailers and trucks and have never checked the torque on any of the axles after they were installed properly. This includes stock, horse, flat bed, cargo and so on. Never a broken spring on any of the trailers loaded properly as well.

However I have had to torque my Lippert U bolts and went the extra mile to upgraded springs/axles and Center Point suspension. If you are staying wiith the stock Lippert set up then you should take a good look at the Center Point. It makes a lot of sense all the way around and reduces the wear and tear of all the moving parts. They next best option is change out the suspension to Torsion axles as long as you keep the coach level.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
CAO,
I have to agree with Bob about properly tourqed u bolts wont stretch- unless they are not the right diameter for the application.
I have to disagree about the lock washer. Lockwashers can (not always) split out from under the nut. You should always use a hardened flat washer.
Here is a good article on u bolts.
http://www.eatonsprings.com/ubolttorques.htm

One thing the article fails to mention is that u bolt nuts are usually not the usual dimesional size for its bolt diameter . In other words, just because a u bolt is 7/16 or 1/2 inch, that does not mean the nut will always 5/8 or 3/4 respectively.
Alot of applications use an oversize or HD nut. This may mean a larger , for example on a 7/16 u bolt, instead of a 5/8 nut (wrench size), it will use an 11/16 nut (wrench size). Both are for a 7/16 diameter bolt.
The other way suspension manufacturers get more holding power out of a nut is a longer nut. Typically, a nut has no more holding pwer than its diameter. In other words, on a 7/16 bolt there really is no sense making the nut any taller than 7/16. However when the threads are rolled (see article) like in a lot of high stress applications, the nuts are typically taller or longer to allow more holding power.

Sorry to haer about your problems. I hope you get them resolved.

Bob&Patty

Larry, I agree with you on your point, but I really don't think that all of the problem is with the "U" bolts stretching. When Lippert replaced my springs, I watched and even helped put it together. The "U" bolt plates that are used are TOO thin. You see can them bend when you torque them down. It's no wonder that the nuts come loose. Way too much flexing under load when moving. A better grade steel and a better/thicker "U" bolt plate and better "U" bolts, just might cure the problem of having to retorque them all the time. The "U" bolt plates on both of my Class "8" trucks were an inch thick and made of cast iron. I have to be nice on my posts. I have in the past upset the "apple cart". I just can't get into the PC thing at my age. "It is what it is". Again....JMHO... again. Bob

Last edited:

DW_Gray

CAO, you may want to check out this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12891-check-u-bolt-torque?p=114199&viewfull=1#post114199

There are enough threads on this forum about axles and U bolts that may be a cause of real concern. With so many of us finding our U bolts not tight enough is reason for a recall on this problem. I hate to raise a red flag but I think safety is important. I think Bob is right. We should not have to monitor this all the time. I talked to a Bighorn owner the other day and he had no idea that he should check his U bolts.

Bob&Patty

You guys need to quit agreeing with me. I'm going to be in trouble again. But again..."just the facts mam...just the facts"... Jack Webb. A recall.......well maybe. I would just like to see better parts used. Would I pay an extra $200.00 for my safety...you betcha. I just don't think that I need to crawl under my BH everytime I want to use it. Thats OK for young guys...but the concrete is hard in my driveway. Yours truely. Alfred E. Newman

SouthernNights

Dave, thanks for bringing up that other thread.
Bear with me on this post...it is a little round about way to get back to ubolts.

I think post 52 shows something else that was ignored on both that thread and this one:
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7062&d=1267063775

Westxsrt10 has installed a set of shocks on the axle. Notice the angle of the shock compared to a factory installed shock is different.

When I put Michelins on my trailer (2nd month I had it) I had a clearence problem with the shocks. With the shocks laying over as far as they were, I wouldnt loose anything by taking them off, and while I would like shocks on the trailer, the factory installed shocks were useless at 33 degress from horizontal.

Anyway, the 2 shocks on the left side were broken. The front one had the top mounting stud broken off (brand new trailer) and the rear one had actually bent the top mounting plate welded to the frame rail. Somewheres in this trailers short life the axles traveled upward far enough that the shock bottomed out. When they did, all the pressure went straight to the ubolt mounting plate. And it did it not in a verticle pressure but almost a sideways pressure because of the mounting angle.

I cant help but think that the shock angle on these trailers (not just HL but SOBs as well) isn't attributing to the u bolts loosening. Using Bob's experience of the plate flexing while the ubolt is being tourqed, that plate had to have some extreme pressure on it when the shock bottomed out.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi CAO,
I have a thread already started about problems with Lippert Components that Lippert is monitoring, so you might want to copy and paste your post to my thread. This thread has generated well over 130 posts, with many negative and a few positive Lippert comments. I feel for you as my driver side rear 3 leaf springs broke off last summer in Tilamook, OR, and I have been in regular contact with the VP of Warranty, Andrew VanSchoick. His advice was to go thru Heartland Warranty Customer Service first, and if unsatisfied to please contact the warranty staff at Lippert, in order for them to assist in resolving your problems. That's what I did, and they listened and have been correcting my deficiencies due to their components. Not everyone will be satisfied, but I believe Lippert is quite aware of problems such as yours, and really aren't happy with that type of reputation. I think with HL and Lippert working together to get you back on the road, you have a chance for some satisfaction. Obviously a new rig shouldn't have such horrible problems, and the good news is no one was hurt it appears, so good luck with your endeavors and if you want my advice please email me. One last point, Lippert has technicians in your area, and I would suggest that you insist they come to you when contacting both Warranty departments. Don't buy the story that Lippert builds their components to Heartland specifications. They know they are responsible for delivering safe, operating products, that meet industry standards.

SouthernNights

Hi CAO,
I have a thread already started about problems with Lippert Components that Lippert is monitoring, so you might want to copy and paste your post to my thread. This thread has generated well over 130 posts, with many negative and a few positive Lippert comments. I feel for you as my driver side rear 3 leaf springs broke off last summer in Tilamook, OR, and I have been in regular contact with the VP of Warranty, Andrew VanSchoick. His advice was to go thru Heartland Warranty Customer Service first, and if unsatisfied to please contact the warranty staff at Lippert, in order for them to assist in resolving your problems. That's what I did, and they listened and have been correcting my deficiencies due to their components. Not everyone will be satisfied, but I believe Lippert is quite aware of problems such as yours, and really aren't happy with that type of reputation. I think with HL and Lippert working together to get you back on the road, you have a chance for some satisfaction. Obviously a new rig shouldn't have such horrible problems, and the good news is no one was hurt it appears, so good luck with your endeavors and if you want my advice please email me. One last point, Lippert has technicians in your area, and I would suggest that you insist they come to you when contacting both Warranty departments. Don't buy the story that Lippert builds their components to Heartland specifications. They know they are responsible for delivering safe, operating products, that meet industry standards.

Larry's thread:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/13709-Lippert-Warranty-Doesn-t-Care-about-safety!

wdk450

I had my springs/u-bolts replaced with locally fabricated (not Lippert) ones in Oregon last fall. There was some loosening of the new u-bolts/nuts, but I think that is to be expected with ALL trailer new U-bolts. Since the breaking/flat Lippert springs were suspected to be of Chinese low-grade steel, it could follow that the same is true of the Lippert U Bolts. I guess time will tell with my rig, but currently we are in a mode where we aren't using it.