Going From Old Style To NBS

circusbear

Howdy,
Has anybody gone from the ond body style GM trucks to the NBS gm trucks? More specifically, We went from a 2007 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 D/A to a 2010. We have a reese slider that is on the top holes of adjustment for verticle height. We had around 8" of clearance between the box and botom of the overhang on the trailer. I was wondering how diffrent the new trucks are as our trailer is about 2 hours away at the stealership and we can't really do a trial run to be sure everything lines up the same as it was. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Circus, I measured the NBS about a year ago. The bed sides are a 1 1/2" taller than the classic. That is from the bed floor to the top of the bed rails. If all goes as planned, you should have about 6" of clearance. There are alot of NBS trucks out there pulling 5ers.

Last edited:

circusbear

I'm pretty sure by now someone would have the same situation that I have. If the new body styles boxes are 1 and a half inches deeper than the old stlye, Did anyone have to drop the pin box on their trailer? Ours came with the plastic cover. How do they come off and how hard is it going to be dropping the pin box by myself? The trailer is at the dealer and with all the problems we had with them, I'm sure they won't want to help.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm pretty sure by now someone would have the same situation that I have. If the new body styles boxes are 1 and a half inches deeper than the old stlye, Did anyone have to drop the pin box on their trailer? Ours came with the plastic cover. How do they come off and how hard is it going to be dropping the pin box by myself? The trailer is at the dealer and with all the problems we had with them, I'm sure they won't want to help.
At one time I dropped our pin box one hole to gain bed side rail clearance, the plastic cover still bolted up but a slight angle forwards.
I returned it to the factory setting and raised the bed hitch one hole to get the 6" bed rail clearance. The trailer then sat 3 1/2" too low in the rear so I installed axle blocks and taller wheels/ tires to make everthing sit level. Many of these new 4x4s sit high.

RollingHome

Just a suggestion, I would take the time to go to the dealer and hook up just to quell any concerns you have. I pulled my 3670HL home with a 2500HD classic body. Then I bought a 3500HD NBS style dually. There is now so little clearance (16 1/2") between the TV & RV that I am reluctant to tow it out of my toybarn. The geometry is so different I'm concerned I may damage either. What I "assumed" would be a seamless transition is giving me heartburn.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Circus,

We pull the same trailer as you have with an 09 GMC. We sit level and have about 7" clearance between the bedrails and trailer. The hitch is a 16k Reese that is dropped one hole from full height.
It is not a slider.
Next time I hook up, I can take a picture of the clearence and send it it to you if you like it.

I also run the same tires on the trailer as the truck so the diameter of the tires is the same.