Favorite place to camp in the Northeast?

MrsChrispy

Queen of the Black Tank
While my husband and I are trying to patiently await the arrival of our new 2011 21FBS, I've been scoping out new places to camp. We travel with our two dogs and have enjoyed staying at many of the PA state parks. I keep a binder with the places we've been, with maps of the "ideal" sites and helpful notes for the next stay.

I was curious if anyone had a favorite place along the eastern coast as we'd like to expand our camping horizons!

buckeyebob

hello! go west to hocking hills state park in southeast ohio.beautiful,rock formations.waterfalls,cliffs,deer,friendly people. buckeyebob

John T Bettencourt

I camp at Bourne Scenic Park,in Bourne Ma. It is right on the Cape Cod Canal. It is very nice there and plenty to do. There is 7 miles of bike path right next to the canal. Great seafood is the best. People are very freindly,I am sure you will have a good time.

MrsChrispy

Queen of the Black Tank
Hocking Hills looks gorgeous -- LOVE the rock formations and opportunities to explore, hike, and even bike. I wish we lived closer, but it's definitely doable! Thanks for the recommendation, buckeyebob.

--and how ironic that my husband and I just finished watching the "Bourne" Ultimatum! Our last trip (trailer-less), we flipped a coin whether to go to MA or upstate NY -- the finger lakes area won the toss. Now we have a place to check out when we do a MA trip. We recently added mountain bikes to our stash of toys and enjoy riding around.. as well as eating fantastic fresh seafood. Thanks John!

mainejc

If you like the mountains, you might try the White Mountain National Forest, in NH due west of Conway NH off Rt 16. Our favorite spot over the years has been Jigger Johnson Campground which offers more privacy than most. The Swift River runs through it (which can be cool for swimming), and there are lots of hiking areas and trail walking close by.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
If you are ever in the western part of PA, Pioneer Park Campground or Laurel Hill State Park campground are both very nice. Both are in Somerset county. Very near Seven Springs and Hidden Valley resorts, tons of hiking and biking trails. Ohiopyle state park is also close, great whitewater rafting, if you are into that.

MrsChrispy

Queen of the Black Tank
We have family in Pittsburgh and love the beauty in that part of the state -- so we're out there quite a bit! We're up for pretty much anything that involves being outdoors so we'll definitely have to check those out.

MrsChrispy

Queen of the Black Tank
We love wine almost as much as camping.. and enjoyed many a glass of the local wineries when we stayed in Skaneateles last fall! Thanks for the link to the rally at Watkins Glen. We'll just be coming off a week long vacation with some out-of-town family.. but we might be able to pull it off.

Freckles thank you for the link to the wine festival. I think we might have to extend the vacation into that week. We will be camping over at Lake George the week before so it might just fit in nicely.

I am new to camping but I think we might try out this campground as our first adventure in May. It is at the beginning of Cape Cod. This way I get in a beach weekend before the crowds start pouring in.
http://capecampresort.com/

Clark

We have many favorite places in the Northeast. In no particular order: A. Watkins Glen (walk the Glen, Wine trails, Corning glass museum); B. Acadia NP near Bar Harbor, ME. Beautiful scenery; C. Mystic, CT; D. Stowe, VT; E. Williamsburg, VA; F. St. Augustine, FL; G. Savannah, GA; H. Lancaster, PA; I. Gettysburg, PA. Each is unique and each is an area that you could easily spend a week touring and not get bored. Enjoy them all.

My husband and I love Association Island Resort. AIR is located in Upstate New York approximately 30 minutes from Interstate 81 in Henderson Harbor. It is on Lake Ontario, what a beautiful place to camp. It is in fact on an island, accessible by a causway. Little to no humidy and cool evenings. Associationislandresort.com

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We've talked with many that have camped at Association Island and said the sunsets are beautiful !! We also talked with the owner at the Syracuse Rv show about a future Ny Rally at this location in the future .