User Pruning Activity

jbeletti

Hey all,

This doesn't pertain to current forum users, but if you know of anyone who has tried to become a forum user but was unable to do so, this thread may one of the reasons why a person was unable to become a user.

In order to guard against automatically created user accounts by software programs, this forum employs a feature that requires all new users to complete their registrations by visiting a confirmation link in an email that is sent to them by the forum.

If the user has supplied an invalid email, does not receive the confirmation email for any reason or does not respond to the email, the new user account is never validated and they are unable to use the forum with the exception of the Guest Area.

I have instituted a process whereby I will regularly purge the user database of user accounts that have not been validated/confirmed by the user. To this end, today, I deleted 98 unconfirmed user accounts. This is a lot of accounts to clear out but it is from day 1 of the forum.

Any unconfirmed user accounts that were created anytime in the month of Aug-2006 were left alone - giving these new users more time to confirm their accounts. Going forward, I will purge unconfirmed user accounts a few times per year.

Thank you,

Jim