kitchen counters

Draco Dog

We previously had a 2008 3670 Big Horn.

We loved the 5th wheel; however, when the 2010 3670 Big Horn's arrived, we up-graded.

We are still loving the Big Horn, but I am not very happy with the kitchen counters. I am very careful with the counters not to damage them. But I am seeing small scratches and marks on the counters already. I have only had this trailer for a few months. Granted, they are dark in color and tend to show the markings better than a light color would. But with the price of this trailer, I wonder why they are of such poor quality.

What can I do? Do I need to put a protective coat of something over the counters or just cover them with a different product?

I need help with suggestions. Thanks.

RoadJunkie

I can only add that I have also noticed light scratches on the counter tops on my 3670, and the rig is about as new as it gets. I expect the factory uses the counter tops during their building of the rig. Anyway, mine show up when your sitting down and the light is just right, so I'm not going to worry about it. A person can go nuts trying to keep these rigs in show room condition.

ralphpam

I would agree that these solid surface counters (2010) seem to scratch easily. In our last rig, after 9 years, they were not as scratched as these in 11 months. That said, they all scratch. I do use a cleaner polisher (made by Weiman) designed for solid surface that shines them and seems to make the scratches less noticeable and helps with water spots and removing stains. You can also use Soft Scrub for a good cleaning and then the polish. I have used both of these on our counters for many years with no problems.

ChopperBill

Renee drives me absolutely nuts cleaning and polishing the counters! If there was a Formica option I would have gladly paid for it. All of the higher end RV's seem to have solid surface counters. Why? I have no idea.
My idea is to use a fine grit sand paper and take the gloss off. That way the scratches wouldn't show as much. She aint falling for it.

cjbearden

Visitor
Here is thread I started last year: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/6172-Hanex-Counter-Tops-Cleaning?highlight=counters. During the Goshen Rally in June '09, a Hanex rep came to the park and worked on several counter tops removing scratches. We were one of his first visits and he worked hard sanding and polishing. Recommendation is to get a random orbital buffer and use the various grit paper sizes referred to in the link supplied by rvn4fun. We have not purchased the buffer (or sander) but sure could use it again. I notice a lot of dull looking areas that do not shine no matter what I use. Give me back the Corian previously used. Have about reached the point that Formica is sounding better and better!! DH says Lowe's might have the cork that can be used to pad between the sink covers and counter top.

The Hanex rep even sanded the backs of our rough sink covers. Right now I an using several paper towels between the stacked sink covers and also between the covers and the counter top. I use nonskid cutting boards on top of the counter next to the sink where we tend to do most of our food prep. No matter what precautions you take, the scratches just magically appear. Another bone of contention is the dust catching creviced edges!! Give me just a plain rounded edge, no crevices. I think the edge may have changed in the newer models but haven't seen a new model to know. Maybe Jim B. can testify to that change??

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

We are trying to find some cork like material to put on the bottum of the sink covers. The contertops are supposed to be easy care?

I found some adhesive-backed rubber bumpers at The Home Depot that work well and are thicker that some of the cork pads. This allows my fingers to get under to lift the covers without sliding, and thus more scratching.

wdk450

http://www.hanex-i.com/contents/customer/care.asp This is the web site for the countertops, our's is showing a lot of scratches also. The sink covers will scratch them if you sit them on the counter. We are trying to find some cork like material to put on the bottum of the sink covers. The contertops are supposed to be easy care?

I got sheet cork material at my local independent hardware store, but we tend to just keep the covers stored full time under the sink (on their sides).

Draco Dog

Thank you all for your help. I never realized the name of the counter tops was "Hanex". I couldn't find info on the counter tops in my paperwork.

I also dislike the creviced edges of the counter tops. They are also in the bathroom.

I never put items such as my electric skillet directly on the counter top. I always have them sitting on a large wood cutting board.

I have a smaller wood cutting board that I use a lot. I keep a small towel underneath the board. Makes it easy to move the board around.

I've never used the sink covers. They just seem too heavy and too easy to scratch. They are kept under the couch. Why????? I don't know.

Guess I'll try the Soft Scrub and/or the Scotch Brite.

Thank you all for your ideas.

As always, you are all awesome.

I bought a glass cutting board to go on the major work area of my Grand Canyon. After the winter of full use, I have come to accept that the counters will never again have that show-room sheen. I am using the products suggested by Hanex. Beware of the crockpot or any other items with a real rough bottom. They will tear the dickens out of the counter top surface.