door side landing gear wont raise

hart1369

i have a 2009 sundance 2998rb and the door side landing jack doesn't retract all the way hangs about 10 inches lower any help

hart1369

yes when i use the hand crank it act like it is trying to twist the motor off and doesn't move the leg any higher thanks

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Could the pin or part of the pin be broke off inside the leg stopping it from retracting.....and the other leg works ok?
Could also be the gears inside that leg are damaged but with one motor driving both legs i can't see that happening.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Check both ends of the cross shaft that connects the 2 leg gears. If the bolt came out, then the DS leg wont raise. Sometimes the bolt and nut are there. The bolt and nut might be laying on the floor of the compartment. It does happen.
Bob

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Check both ends of the cross shaft that connects the 2 leg gears. If the bolt came out, then the DS leg wont raise. Sometimes the bolt and nut are there. The bolt and nut might be laying on the floor of the compartment. It does happen.
Bob

That happened to us. If the jack raises part of the way then it may just need realigning (cross your fingers on that!). Try removing the screw that holds the cross shaft together near the leg that needs to come up. You should then be able to raise the leg up manually (you'll need the trailer on your Tow Vehicle to do this). Raise the leg until both legs are at the same height. Then reattach the cross shaft bolt. Try running the legs up and down a few times to see how it works (keep the trailer hooked to the Tow Vehicle while doing this!). If you're lucky, the problem will be corrected. If not, you can get the parts to repair it from Lippert or Venture (the jack manufacturer) and do it yourself (cost me $25 and two hours labor) or you can take it to any RV dealer for repair.

hart1369

this is what lippert told me to try i got ahold of them today ill give it a try thanks
That happened to us. If the jack raises part of the way then it may just need realigning (cross your fingers on that!). Try removing the screw that holds the cross shaft together near the leg that needs to come up. You should then be able to raise the leg up manually (you'll need the trailer on your Tow Vehicle to do this). Raise the leg until both legs are at the same height. Then reattach the cross shaft bolt. Try running the legs up and down a few times to see how it works (keep the trailer hooked to the Tow Vehicle while doing this!). If you're lucky, the problem will be corrected. If not, you can get the parts to repair it from Lippert or Venture (the jack manufacturer) and do it yourself (cost me $25 and two hours labor) or you can take it to any RV dealer for repair.

hart1369

this is not the problem but lippert is warrentying (sic) the work im to take it in to ron potts rv on 4-7
we didnt buy from them i hope they do us right
this industry is funny on customer service im finding out at least when it comes to dealers

ppenka

Same thing happened to me over a month ago. i had to replace the door side landing gear. It cost me $450 and about an hour of work. Its easy to do if you have the time.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, we stripped the gears on the ODS leg Sunday AM, had to pull the whole leg off to get home,&*%$. Fortunately it let go when the rig was high enough to hook up..................
One note, the gears were slipping for a while, I did not realize what the sound was...............
It should be easy to fix, the shear pin on the shaft failed and it is already apart..................

hart1369

ron potts rv fixed my 5er they repaced the gear in the legs and a new motor it took 2 weeks but i told them i was in no hurry
i was just glad they did the warrenty work for me . they seem like a class act i'll be dealing with them in the future. thet are in johnstown ohio