I need help with a tank vent problem

2010augusta

Okay, I thought I had this fixed a couple days ago but the problem is back.

The toilet is "burping" even after draining and flushing the tank.

I ran about 10' of pipe down the vent tube from the roof and found nothing blocking the vent.

I then put 10' of water hose down the vent and turned the water on, water was running through the tank and draining, so I thought we were good to go again.

Today (2 days later) it is burping again. What can I do to stop this? Why else would the toilet be burping?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
You dont suppose you have a build up of solids in the tank diminishing the capacity?

Last edited:

2010augusta

We should not have solids built up, I am diligent to always use the tank flusher and the flush king to back flush and repeat until it runs clear.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Allen, I had that happen one time and turns out there was a blockage in the pipe after the toilet. Couldn't see it.
A little plunging took care of the problem.
Oh, and a little talk with the perpitrator.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Allen, I had that happen one time and turns out there was a blockage in the pipe after the toilet. Couldn't see it.
A little plunging took care of the problem.
Oh, and a little talk with the perpitrator.

Peace
Dave

Same here ... a plunger took care of the problem. I ran a "snake" to clear it and that did not do the job. Use the plunger.

2010augusta

You all are great! We don't have a plunger, so I flushed the toilet and used the sprayer to fill the pipe below the toilet and just as the water was about to back-up into the toilet, the weight dislodged the blockage and the burping has stopped once again.

I had no idea that that nearly vertical pipe of that size could become clogged, well now I know better.

Thanks for the suggestions.