Ford F350 4 WD Diesel fuel milage any info

bigdob24

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 with the Duramax and pull a 38' Sundance 3300RCB.
Thinking about a 2008 Ford F350 Diesel was wondering if anyone would have any input on the fuel mileage of the Ford , while towing and without a load.
I get around 12 mpg pulling the 3300RCB and unloaded about 19 mpg. I have no idea of what to expect from the Ford any info would help

trvlrerik

My totally stock 08 F350 srw 4X4 averages around 10mpg on flat ground towing, in mountains or hills it drops down to around 7 mpg, but pulls great and will not back down. I often let off of the pedal before cresting a hill to slow down for the descent.

Unloaded I am averaging about 13 around town, highway milage can get as high as 20 but 16mpg is more realistic. If I keep it under 65 mph it seems to suck down less fuel.

In my opinion the Duramax gets better milage, each brand has its own strengths and weaknesses, I am sure these will be pointed out by others on this forum. The one thing that Fords can do better than most every other brand is turn, this does not come up in many opinions. To me this is a huge issue in tight camp areas and construction sights. I can do a u-turn on my street, friends with GMs or Dodge have to 3 point turns.

I have 56k miles on my truck right now and I still am glad I bought it.

RoadJunkie

Don't expect the mileage you get with a 2008 6.4l diesel to be above 8-8.5mpg while towing (3.73 rear axle). I just completed a 3700 mile trip with my '09 and was getting 15mpg on interstate at 70mph for 900 miles, and as low as 7.5--into the wind--at 63mph-65mph when hauling my rig. I agree that GM trucks seem to get better mileage and seem to handle the DPF cleaning process in a better--engineered--manner. The range on a short bed Ford (30 gallon OEM tank) is around 225-250 miles, and then you better have a service station in sight. The good news is these babies haul like crazy and are built with hauling in their DNA. Good luck, which ever way you go.

MD Buck

I agree that the mileage isn't the best at around 9 while towing and 15 mpg doing 70 on interstates. Pulls like crazy, but has limited range with the factory tank so I installed a 60 gallon auxillary in the bed that I got from Northern Tool. Works great and increased the range by adding additional 60 gallons for now I'm in the 650 mile range while towing.

debandal

2005 Short box, Duramax, Firestone air bag's, Bully dog chip, Cold Air Box, (4" exaust,) 13.0 - 13.5 average. We are pulling a 3400, 2009 Bighorn from Calgary AB to Mesa AZ. Works for us.
Al

Cimriver

RoadJunkie said:
Don't expect the mileage you get with a 2008 6.4l diesel to be above 8-8.5mpg while towing (3.73 rear axle). I just completed a 3700 mile trip with my '09 and was getting 15mpg on interstate at 70mph for 900 miles, and as low as 7.5--into the wind--at 63mph-65mph when hauling my rig. I agree that GM trucks seem to get better mileage and seem to handle the DPF cleaning process in a better--engineered--manner. The range on a short bed Ford (30 gallon OEM tank) is around 225-250 miles, and then you better have a service station in sight. The good news is these babies haul like crazy and are built with hauling in their DNA. Good luck, which ever way you go.​

This is pretty much true to form for my 2008 F-350 also.

I have hesitated to add an inbed fuel tank for a couple of reasons. Weight and space in my trucks shortbed. Were I full timing I would probably do this, but unfortunately for now I have to go to work on a regular basis. I have also considered replacing my fuel tank with a larger one, but the replacement fuel tanks are 37 gallons gaining me only 7 gallons, which hardly seems worth the cost. So for now, I'm looking for a fuel stop when I've gone 200 miles or so. I do carry some fuel jugs in case I get somewhere I can't find fuel.

caissiel

I have seen a lot of long distance haulers using an extra 5 Gal tank of diesel in the box so you can drive your truck closer to empty when refueling, the Can is an an e\mergency supply. Beats getting stuck on the side of the road.
I have a 5" deep 60" wide by 20" high tank that holds 20 Gallons of fuel and its been good for me, I just dump it in the bottom tank when the truck tank is going to run short.
It fits in front of my regular box in the front of the truck box, was installed on my Short bed GM and was working great.

bigdob24

Thanks to everyone that replied.
I test drove the 2008 F 350 today , very nice truck indeed, somewhat bigger than my Chevy HD 2500.
I drove the interstate about 80 miles round trip. 60 mph got about 16 mpg, 65 - 70 mph got 15mpg.
This was just the truck so I can imagine this truck would be less than 10 mpg pulling my 3300 RCB.
I think I will stay with my Chevy Duramax as it seems the fuel prices will increase.
Thanks again for the information
Dan

Bighurt

Thanks to everyone that replied.
I test drove the 2008 F 350 today , very nice truck indeed, somewhat bigger than my Chevy HD 2500.
I drove the interstate about 80 miles round trip. 60 mph got about 16 mpg, 65 - 70 mph got 15mpg.
This was just the truck so I can imagine this truck would be less than 10 mpg pulling my 3300 RCB.
I think I will stay with my Chevy Duramax as it seems the fuel prices will increase.
Thanks again for the information
Dan

If you were using the lie o meter on the dash, your mpg estimates are off, while I can manage 16-17 on mine stock, its at 65 when I make the jump to 70 it drops to 13-14, the rpm increase and the egr/dpf system suck...

santafedave

Santafedave
I have a 2004 F250 and I tow a 3795 Cyclone. I get about 8 mpg towing around 60 miles per hour. I added a 75 gallon external bed tank to the bed of my truck so I can get about 1000 miles before I need to fill up. You can go to diesel boss.com and see truck stop diesel prices and if you plan your trip you can get a good price on diesel. I have over 75,000 miles now on my truck and I love it!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Feel lucky you don't have the 2003 6.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rated as the worst engine ever made for FORD!