What to look for in walk-thru of new BC

srae

We will be getting our new Big Country (our first 5th wheel) and are wondering what specific areas we might want to pay particular attention to. We are very excited and feel we have a well constructed unit, but would like to be able to ask "the right" questions when we have a representataive showing us around.

jimtoo

Hi srae,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help if needed.

When you do your PDI, take your time. Make sure it is hooked to water and electric, try all appliances, tv's, everything. Have them show you that everything works and ask questions if your not sure. I would not let the salesman do the PDI, unless he is also a service tech. They need to have someone that is really familiar with the units.

I would plan on spending the day doing the PDI and them making the adjustments or repairs while you wait.

Enjoy the forum and ask your questions.

Jim M

Dave012

Within the WIKI section above there is an RV Glossary with a definition of PDI. If you click the PDI link it has links to PDI checklists that have been posted on this site in the past. Its a good way to get to the information quickly.

Enjoy your BC!

Congrats on your new 5th wheel. You will soon see that choosing a Big Country is the right choice. Now...the PDI is always a hot topic on the discussion blogs on here. I'm sure there will be many people that will have many things to tell you to look at. But if it were me, and I had a very poor experience with the PDI when I bought mine in January...here is my 2 cents about what to look for.

1. Plumbing. You will want to make sure water is hooked up to your RV and when you start your PDI and get to the plumbing section, turn on all faucets, and check the drains one at a time to make sure they are all tight and not leaking. Next, and I highly suggest you do this, have them take the all out in the basement to gain access to the back of all the water valves in the UDC. This is the heart of the water system and you are going to want to check every clamp and elbow to make sure there are no cracked fittings. I have replaced 5 out of 6 fittings because my unit must have frozen in the winter from a poor winterization and it presented numerous leaks that are very frustrating. SO ask them to remove the panel. It's only 6 screws and very easy to put back.

2. Storage tanks. The gray 1 and 2 tanks. Make sure you fill them completly and then drain them completely. Make sure the sensors are working and indicate correctly. You will want to make sure you fill the freshwater tank with enough water to pump to all the facuets and shower as well. Make sure the pump keeps up with the demand and has no leaks too. Again, having the panel removed in the basement will help you with that.

3. Electrical, make sure you turn on every light and try to bring a portable appliance or lamp to check every plug. Make sure you have power going everywhere it's supposed to.

4. TV and Stereo. My outside speakers are blown. I have new ones on the way from Jensen. But somewhere in the travels of my RV, someone turned the stereo on very loud and did not know the outside speakers were on and blew them. So check this and make sure it all sounds good to you. I use DirecTV and the satellite wiring to the bedroom had a bad connector on the wire. It was a quick fix at the dealer and I know you will probably not be able to check that until you are home, but it's just something to keep in the back of your head.

5. Make sure all of your tanks empty in a reasonable amount of time. I have two back water tanks on my 3490RB and the aft tank gate valve had some trash in it and it allowed fluid to fill the outlet when the cap was on. I have cleaned it and it's working fine now, but you don't want to find that when you are camping. Just make sure that when the tanks are full of water at the dealer, that you can take the outlet caps off and nothing comes out.

6. You are getting a brand new unit and I'm sure that the sealant is going to be fine, but keep a watchful eye on the edges of everything. Look for gaps in sealant and make sure they are all in tact. Nothing is worse that water getting into the RV from that.

7. With the RV perfectly level at the dealer, I suggest you have them install a level on the pin box. Check the door/s and make sure they open and close with no hanging. You won't regret it later when you are trying to level the unit and you don't know if you got it or not. There have been many discussion threads about leveling the unit and since it's your first unit, have the dealer level it up and install the master level on the pin box and then you will always know for the future. It's well worth the small expense now to prevent aggrevation later.

8. Last but not least, tires. Make sure they show you the pressures on the tires before you drive down the road. Nothing is worse than a blown tire. You won't regret it. Make sure your truck is aired up and ready as well.

Well, I congratulate you on your decision to buy Heartland and Big Country. We are very happy with ours, and look forward to many many years of RVing in it.

ChopperBill

Good list Scott. I will add to the TV section. You may not be able to check to see if it works on satellite but you can check the cable connections. Take a continuity tester with you and make sure that the inner wire and the outer nut have no continuity when tested. If so you have a bad cable end or the cable has a nail or something going through. If they all pass you can take a short jumper wire and connect the cable nut and inner wire together. Go to the where that cable is suppose to terminate. There should be continuity between those two. If not the cable may not be run to the proper spot. Easy to check by testing for continuity at the surrounding terminations. Whew! The way I wrote this up may sound complicated but when you think about of it it is pretty simple.

srae

Thanks to all who responded to my questlions. Wonderful guidelines for us when we get the new BC. Really enjoy reading the posts on this forum...everyone is so helpful.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Along with the comprehensive information already presented, since this is your first 5th wheel, have their technician work with you on hitching/unhitching the rig from your truck. Also, if there is room on their lot, do a little practice pulling it forward and backing into a spot. Have the spouse get behind the rig to act as your spotter and guide you. Some people need practice doing this, including many of my young (and some old) firefighters. Point direction with the arm not a finger, so the driver can see it. Do this before you pull out onto the highway. Have them help you set your brake controller to the proper setting and explain how to change it, should the need occur. On the road, remember that your mirrors (you do have extended ones, right?) are lonely and want you looking at them frequently.

wdk450

srae:
Do a websearch and have one of the comprehensive PDI lists printed out from the internet. Give your dealer a copy of the list IN ADVANCE of the PDI. TAKE CHARGE of the PDI, don't be lead through it . Have the leak down pressure tests of the propane and water systems done in your presence. Ask/assure that wheel nuts, axle u-bolt nuts and pinbox nuts/bolts are ALL torqued to spec. Have them demonstrate the Air conditioning for proper flow/cooling. If at all posslible, set up and live in the unit either nearby, or in the lot, for a couple of days to REALLY find out what doesn't work.

Good luck, and Happy RVing!

srae

srae:
Do a websearch and have one of the comprehensive PDI lists printed out from the internet. Give your dealer a copy of the list IN ADVANCE of the PDI. TAKE CHARGE of the PDI, don't be lead through it . Have the leak down pressure tests of the propane and water systems done in your presence. Ask/assure that wheel nuts, axle u-bolt nuts and pinbox nuts/bolts are ALL torqued to spec. Have them demonstrate the Air conditioning for proper flow/cooling. If at all posslible, set up and live in the unit either nearby, or in the lot, for a couple of days to REALLY find out what doesn't work.

Good luck, and Happy RVing!
Thanks for the helpful information. I will get a check list to have in hand.

srae

I'm sure we will need some instruction in the hitching/unhitching process.!! Thank-you for your helpful information. And yes, we keep our mirrors happy by looking at them frequently...ha Have a great day.

jimtoo

Thanks for the helpful information. I will get a check list to have in hand.

Hi srae, If you will do a search in the new WIKI section of the forum, you should find some PDI check list others have used.

This is search I did for you. Has several PDI list.

Jim M

tempus

Thank you for the great information! I have a BH 3610RE being delivered to my home in Lewiston, Id from Lake Shore RV in Michigan next week. It is 4200 miles round trip and I was fearing what I might not find doing a quick inspection. I will do it as quickly as possible now, but the Delivery Driver probably won't be a Happy Camper:(

I'm hoping the closest Heartland Dealer (110 miles in Spokane) will be willing to provide service in the coming months - it would be a long drive having the dealer doing the fixing! Thanks again. BTW, I am selling my 3 month old, 2010 Heartland M21 if anyway to make any offer:)

Thank you for the great information! I have a BH 3610RE being delivered to my home in Lewiston, Id from Lake Shore RV in Michigan next week. It is 4200 miles round trip and I was fearing what I might not find doing a quick inspection. I will do it as quickly as possible now, but the Delivery Driver probably won't be a Happy Camper:(

I'm hoping the closest Heartland Dealer (110 miles in Spokane) will be willing to provide service in the coming months - it would be a long drive having the dealer doing the fixing! Thanks again. BTW, I am selling my 3 month old, 2010 Heartland M21 if anyway to make any offer:)
bought mine back east also(located in spokane) and took to heartland here . nice guys to work with. be sure to contact heartland before any warrenty work if you didnt buy it there they will tell you its not covered.
be sure to ask where the fuse to the jacks are and how far you can raise them without blowing the fuse(see posts on front jacks) happy camping. love our sundance