Looking at a 3210

Hi, new guy here with a 2008 one ton SRW Chevrolet Duramax P/U and I am thinking about buying a new leftover 2009 Cyclone 3210 toyhauler but I'm kinda concerned that it may overload my truck. This weight thing has me a bit confused. Am I going to be OK with this. Could someone please help me out? Thanks in advance.

jimtoo

HI powerhouse,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge and help if needed.

You will get lots of answers about you weight. But I feel you should be OK with your choice.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Jett

I've towed my 3210 with a 2500 Dodge CTD for several years. Never had any problems. I did add air bags and don't needlessly haul around fuel water and fuel tanks. Your 1-ton SRW won't have any problems handling a 3210. Just get a good brake controller and always remember you're towing a 33 foot, 14K+ pound trailer.

Thanks for the information. Being new to this whole 5th wheel thing I'm probably going to be asking a lot of dumb questions. It looks like I came to the right place to get answers though. The weight of this trailer really had me concerned because the placard inside the glove box of my truck says the max weight for a slide in camper is 2078lbs but the owners manual says not to exceed 3500lbs pin weight for a 5th wheel trailer which really makes it confusing and of course there is always the tire weight restrictions to think about. I didn't want to buy this 5th wheel just to find out I need a bigger truck to pull it. Thanks again!

truknutt

Committed Member
PowerHouse,

I will give you my EMPTY 2009 3210 weights and you can figure out from there:

Pinweight: 2,740 lbs.
3 axles together: 9,780 lbs.
Total unloaded weight: 12,520 lbs.

I will tell you that I have the factory 5.5K Onan Genset, optional 10 cu reefer, and had (2) full 30 lb LP tanks. I DO NOT have the electric beds in the garage either. I had little to no fuel in the pumping station at that time.

Dave

Jett

Pinweights on these toyhaulers -- even a 3210 -- sure can get up there -- especially when the garage isn't loaded. My 2500 Dodge pulled and stopped my 3210 just fine, but just the fact that I HAD to use airbags made me feel like I was pushing the issue on pinweight -- hence -- the new truck in my signature. I haven't really used it yet, but I did hook-up to the 3210 last weekend and pulled it a few miles just to see how it handled. Not really that much difference from my 2500 in a some ways -- but no airbags needed and SIGNIFICANTLY more stable.

Thanks truknutt, looks like I might be looking at trading my SRW in on a dually. The pin weight is what has me the most concerned. It looks like it could be well over 3000# by the time you put anything in the trailer. I will be hauling a Harley full dresser in the garage so the extra 1000# back there should help a little with the pin weight but it still looks like it won't be enough. I know I would most likely be OK to haul the 3210 with air bags and perhaps a change to 19.5 commercial tires and wheels on my truck but I'm still not real sure how safe I would be. I guess I'll just have to rethink this whole thing. I really like the 3210 and as a single retired guy the size would work good for me so perhaps I'll go ahead and get it and work out the tow rig later.

bigredtruck

we tow with a 1996 F350 dually with airbags. If the right deal comes along, we will get a newer truck but for now, we take it slow and easy. Next upgrade to the truck will be exhaust brakes which would give us a little more peace of mind.

Detmer

Hello,

I am pulling a 2009 3210 with a 2005 Dodge 2500. I have not had no problems. I do have airbags.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

TNT

We tow our 09 3210 with an 08 Ford F250 with an added camper package from the factory. Haven't had any problems, always tow the Harley in the back. Don't worry about stopping with 3 axles of breaking help. Good luck and if you decide on the 3210 you'll enjoy immensely.

dynaguy

if not already suggested you might want to consider air bags, I have the firestone ride rite bags with the on board compressor kit and love it.