Toilet Lever Doesn't Work -- Need Help

rmchad

Heartland Owner
We are on the maiden voyage with our Sundance. The foot lever on the toilet no longer opens the black rubber valve at the bottom of the toilet. We would like a toilet that works -- it could get rather messy otherwise, especially with the kids!

It was working -- now nothing. It feels like the lever is moving something -- it still has tension from a spring. I have no idea how to take this thing apart to figure out what is wrong.

Any suggestions?

skyguy

Chad - if no one else chimes in, you should have a reference sticker listing phone numbers of suppliers for your RV. It may be inside a cupboard door, or inside your info kit from heartland / dealer. I can't say specifically for the 3300RLB, we have a different model.

Good luck!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If all else fails call Heartland Customer Service or your dealer service department.

SmokeyBare

Chad,

Sounds like the shaft is not turning the ball valve seat in the toilet bowl. The shaft is held on the ball valve with a bolt. I'm not sure what model number of Toilet you have. Here is a link to their parts list and manual. The Parts list gives the best break down of the parts and shows the bolt I am guessing may be your problem. Look Up your Model and use the link below to select your Manual & Parts List. Good LUCK !!

Marv

http://www.sealandtechnology.com/manuals.asp

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Assuming you have the same Dometic toilet as the rest of us, Take a flat blade screwdriver and pop off the round side cover on the foot pedal so you can see the lever. Press it down and up. You should be able to see if there are loose screws in the assembly that aren't holding pressure. Also look in your owners packet as there should be a Sealand brochure that shows an exploded view of the toilet fittings and a troubleshooting section.
Take note of the way the cover snaps back on, one of the tabs is bigger than the other.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi Everyone -- all very helpful. I'll see what I can figure out later today. Hopefully we'll have a toilet that flushes by tonight. If not, I'll be looking for a shovel so I can make an outhouse :)

tmcran

Mine would not flush a few weeks ago. The plastic shaft that has the dome on top was broken. Pop off the cover on the side so you can see the internal parts. Look for the shaft with the dome on top. When I took the cover off the shaft and dome fell in the floor- got a free replacement from Sealand that has a brass shaft. It you still have tension that may not be your problem but easy to check.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Thanks to everyone -- nothing was broken. Somehow the notch in the lever had come out from the matching notch in the plastic shaft inside the toilet. Unscrewed the lever, matched up the slots, and screwed it together. It works now. I'm glad nothing was broken.

My son had pushed the lever up, in the opposite direction of how it is used -- maybe this caused the problem.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks to everyone -- nothing was broken. Somehow the notch in the lever had come out from the matching notch in the plastic shaft inside the toilet. Unscrewed the lever, matched up the slots, and screwed it together. It works now. I'm glad nothing was broken.

My son had pushed the lever up, in the opposite direction of how it is used -- maybe this caused the problem.

Not sure what toilet you have but with ours you are supposed to lift the pedal to fill the bowl with water.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
[/B]

Not sure what toilet you have but with ours you are supposed to lift the pedal to fill the bowl with water.

Hi Larry -- just checked and our lever does not lift up to fill the bowl. It feels like it should not lift up at all, except if you happen to be a curious and strong 4-year old who decides it should :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our daughter and son-in-law's rv toilet only pushes down. Push halfway down to fill with water and all the way to flush. Ours pulls up to put water in it and down to flush.