3055RL - Dual Pane Windows - Option - Two Questions

:D

Interested in purchasing a 3055RL, but I also want to have control of the overall weight of the 5th wheel.

Can you please tell me how much additional weight the dual pane window option adds to the overall dry weight of the 3055RL 5th wheel?

Can dual pane windows be added in the future by a dealer?

Thank you

David

beardedone

Beardedone
Hi
Well for starters it would be easier and a lot cheaper to install them at the factory. If you try to replace them later you might just as well buy a new trailer because the labor would be really high and then you would have an extra set of windows you probably couldn't get rid of. They will increase your re-sale value, especially in Alberta where people tend to camp in the shoulder seasons more. They will eliminate steaming up of the windows and make it easier for your a/c and furnace to work too. Your personal comfort will be better too because the cold air will not fall to the floor as easily. Weight wise I can't help you but try calling a glass shop to see what the weight of glass is and then measure the windows (rough measurements should be good). I know that I would never be without dual pane glass. (We just got back from Rocky Mountain House area 1 hour ago and I sure am glad I had the extra glass.

DXprowler

Dual pane windows were a prerequisite with the purchase of our 3410. We do a lot of cool weather camping so I was looking for a better sealed and insulated trailer wanting to avoid any lack of heat and condensation issues. It's better insulated for hot weather and keeps outside noises down as well. But yes the will add weight, how much, I'm not exactly sure. I was told to add 1000 lbs, but I don't think it's that much, maybe more like 500 lbs or somewhere in between. Frankly I don't care what they weigh because the living quality goes up substantially with having them!

I'm sure the dealer would be more than happy to install them after but it would be very, very expensive! The windows would have to be ordered and shipped from the factory, the old ones taken out and the new ones installed. The rear window must be worth at least $400 plus a few hrs of labour alone!

Save yourself the time and money and order them with the coach. You won't regret it, but you will have regents if you don't!

caissiel

I was told it will add about 300 Lbs or so. Its a great option, we have it and there are excellent so far for sound as well as sweat. Specially after the cold winter here in Florida this winter.
The dealer installed units would possibly be very expensive, and no value in the removed units.

jddugan

Get the dual panes and don't think twice. They are one of the best options you'll ever spend your dollars on. You won't regret it.

boatdoc

I must agree with all the others, just get them and be done with it. Cut down on the rest of the crud we all seem to think we need to haul around and that 300 pounds will disappear.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I recommend the dual panes well worth the purchase.

These are the option weights from the factory on my Bighorn 3055.

Approx weight added to the standard weight of the unit for the following options:

High gloss gel coat - 215 lbs
Dual Pane Windows - 120 lbs
Electric rear jacks - 15 lbs
Slide topper awnings for triple slide -101 lbs
Fireplace - 10 lbs

DXprowler

Interesting! The high gloss paint is heavier than the dual pane windows and the windows are only 120 lbs????

jimtoo

Interesting! The high gloss paint is heavier than the dual pane windows and the windows are only 120 lbs????

The "High Gloss Gel Coat" is not paint. It is an extra coat of resin on the fiber glass wall. It is heavy, but worth the extra because it looks so much better. Also makes waxing and cleaning easier I think.

The Dual Pane Windows are worth the extra weight also, shuts out a lot of noise and stops the sweating of the window and it does help with the heat and a/c buy having the dead air space. The weight added by dual pane windows is really only the weight of the glass, the frames are almost the same and are aluminum the way I look at them.

Jim M

ChopperBill

It is amazing, our dealer says he sells only 1 out of 100 with dual panes. They dont order any that are not pre-sold with dual panes at all. They had a 3610RE on the lot we would have bought. No dual panes-No sale. Now we gotta wait!

tcbrady

Typically our dealers do not order Bighorn units with dual pane windows (exception is our Canadian dealers). I would say approx 10-15% of all Bighorn units built in a year get the dual pane option. This is a personal preference but in my discussion with customers at numerous RV shows across the country is that dual pane windows are not necessary unless you plan to camp often in extreme temperatures (hot or cold).

Give this some thought - how much propane can you buy for the 1,852 MSRP option price on dual pane windows?

Dual pane windows will weigh more on a 3610RE vs a 3055RL.

Just my thoughts for what it's worth.....

boatdoc

Go to a show and see if you can find one with and one with-out. Have a seat in each one for 15 minutes and tell me which one is the quietest. You will barely hear any outside noise in the double pane vs the single. This was our reasoning. If we have to worry about burning to much propane for heat we're way to far North, just as if we need the second A/C we're to far South.

Last edited:

ChopperBill

While we are on the window topic. How come they don't make the frames out vinyl rather than aluminum? The difference between the materials as far as cold and heat transfer was amazing when we put vinyls in our stick home.
Another benefit to dual pane windows is the inability to see in the coach during day light hours. I know on ours you can put your eyes right up to the glass and see hardly anything. I can peek in the neighbors single panes pretty easily. Not that I do!

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
When we bought our '08 3400RE the dual pane windows were tops on our options list. We're from Oklahoma and we spend most of our camping time in hot weather and they do make a difference and they are quieter too. Very well worth the extra(?) weight and the small additional cost, IMHO.

DXprowler

In this day and age of Green I don't understand why dual pane windows aren't standard in luxury rigs such as the Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country especially where advertised R values is an issue. Sure entry level trailers are fine with single pane windows but most who buy the luxury trailers use them for longer periods over the course of the year. Most are snow birders and/or full timers and want all the comforts of home one being dual pane windows! Anyway that's just my opinion but I bet dealers would sell more units with them if they were on the lot!