Central Vac question

mrmagoo

We have been looking at the numerous Bighorn models... One thing that appeared to be nice was the Central Vac option. When asking about attachments for cleaning the carpet, we have not seen anything usable for floor cleaning especially an attachment with a agitator for cleaning the carpets. Our dogs camp with us, and we definitely need a vacuum that will do a quality cleaning job.

What attachments come with the vac system?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had the Dirt Devil central vac added by the dealer, not HL. Somehow, we ended up with two sets of attachments. One set contained a air-driven Rug Rat, that has a beater brush in it, but it only does a 5" swath. So, that set stayed in the BH, and the other is at home for use with our central vac system. Now I don't have to lug the main hose set down to the basement to clean up.

Our home system also has a large carpet head with an air-driven beater in it. To be honest, it's OK for minor cleaning, but to get the cat hair out of the carpet, the Eureka bag unit comes out to play.

branson4020

Icantre Member
We also travel with dogs. We find the built-in vac to be totally inadequate for dog hair. We carry a regualr household vacuum for serious use and just use the built-in unit for sweeping up the linoleum.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Our house central system has an electric driven beater. We use that one in the Bighorn. DW wants to get a second one and just leave it in the coach. It works good.

Peace
Dave

RoadJunkie

My HL installed vacuum came with 2ea. extension tubes, 1ea. crevice tool, 1 ea. carpet/hard-floor tool (12"-14"?), 1 ea. circular brush, 1ea. "slinky" umbilical hose that extends throughout the rig, 1 ea. spare bag, and 1 ea. tool storage bag (net material). I'm going by memory, but I think it also included 1 ea. 6" (?) rectangular nozzle.

I was really impressed by the suction of this unit (I think they call it the "Yellow Jacket"). Hope this helps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Eureka Yellow Jacket also and it works great on the carpet and on the tile.

boatdoc

We have the yellow one also and think it does just fine. We DON'T do pets so have no problems with their cast off fur. I really like the port in the basement for doing the odd ball stuff outside the Horn. Our's came with the same goodies as Junkie.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW we have an American Eskimo (the mean dog) and she sheds alot. We use a yellow Eureka stick vac to supplement the Yellow Jacket central vac. Between them both it gets the job done. I like the central vac because it has an outlet in the basement and with the long hose I can reach the truck to vacuum it out too. Works great.

2010augusta

We have two Corgis that shed a lot, and our Yellow jacket floor attachment has 2 settings, with brushes extended and retracted. If you use it on the carpet with the brushes extended it really pulls up the fur, but it is s bit of a workout. I will use a rubber grooming met to really scrub the carpet a couple times a year. We just can't justify carrying around a second vacuum, when the central vac will work if you take the time.

ChopperBill

We got on of these for ours, less than $15. Its only about 6 inches wide but there is not a lot of carpet to do and it will work on everything.

FA-5716.jpg