Getting my first fifth Wheel, which hitch should I get??

zephyr74

I just bought a Cyclone 2812, 30' fifth wheel toy hauler, my truck is a 2003 F250 CC 7.3ltr short bed. With the way Heartland advertises the "new" front cap making a better turning radius, do I need an hitch that slides automatically like a super glide or what kind of hitch should I get? The trailer weighs 9500lbs dry and has a GWVR of 14,000 (however I will never load it that heavy). Thanks for your advice!

watchthebox

Congratulations on your new Cyclone! I just got a 3010 a couple months ago, and I had to make that same decision. I read around as much as I could, and from what I gathered, most people rarely use the slider hitch, but when you do need it, you need it. So I went ahead and bought a slider hitch (see my signature). I've only used the sliding function once, when backing into my downhill driveway resulting in bunging up the plastic top cap of my tailgate! Aside from my error, I like the hitch a lot, and would get it again.

Last edited:

RollingHome

I have a Pull-Rite 18K sliding hitch. I would buy another with or without a short bed. It was in my 2500HD, it is now in my 3500HD and Pull-Rite said this is OK to do, they even gave me the install specs.. It has many features that appeal to me. One of my favorites is the authority it has when the king-pin snaps in and the fact fingers rap tightly around the king pin. I can remove the hitch by pulling 4 clips and I have my bed back. This hitch is well engineered and it shows it. A draw back is the fact a user must spray dry graphite lube on the rails before every long haul (100+ miles) or risk grinding up the rails which will not be covered under warranty. If you have time, go looking for smashed bed rails, indicative of someone 'dropping' the 5ver onto the truck bed. Now look at the brand hitch they have. Some hitches have the king pin retainer rod slide behind the king-pin. Those hitches also seem to leave a wake of destruction in their path more then others. Another barometer is cost... as always. I saw another well designed hitch at the Hershey RV show. The name escaqpes me... but, it's made in Michigan I believe, the name started with a H (if I remember correctly) and it had a small rubber tire for shock absorbtion. Won't slide though. By the way, you said you would NOT load your trailer to max... Doesn't matter in the eyes of the law, they go by gross weight = what your RV can haul & what your truck can pull. If some over zealous HWP is having a bad day... so will you if you exceed gross on your TV or RV. I pulled a 3670RL with a 2500HD and it was fine... I still up sized to a 3500HD to make sure "his" bad day did not become mine... just a thought. Tom

ricatic

I pull my 09 Big Horn 3055RL with my 04 F250 CC SB 4WD PSD and use a B&W Companion 18k fifth wheel that mates with the B&W Turnover Ball hitch mounted under the bed of the truck. No slider and the rig turns as tight as I could ever want. What I like most about this set up was again demonstrated to me today. When I do not need my Companion I remove it. I then have a perfectly flat and empty box and floor. I needed to put the Companion back in today. 15 minutes and I was done.

Regards

Rick

Delaine and Lindy

Having owned, several static hitches like, Reese, Valley Huskey, B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch and the Trailer Saver Air ride hitch. If your going with a steel hitch the B&W system would be my recommendation, however the Trailer Saver air ride hitch is your best option. I know they are pricey but so is your 5th wheel. Your also towing a heavy trailer and the Trailer Saver will take a lot of stress off your frame which is a big plus. I have owned two Trailer Saver 5th wheel hitches and without a doubt they do what the name says they are a Trailer Saver. Can't say if you need a slider or not but I did have one in our previous short bed Truck that was used with our 2005 Everest but never used it towing over 22,000 miles . The Trailer Saver is designed after the 5th wheel hitches that are use in the heavy Truck industry (Class 8 ) and many poeple who have MDT's use the Trailer Saver. Good Luck with your decision. GBY....

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have a 16k Reese with Manual slider. Pull a 2008 Sundance 3200ES. I have never used it but it is a security feature.

alkyspeed

I have to agree with Delaine and Lindy. The TrailerSaver air hitch is the best I have ever owned. Yes they are expensive but what isn't these days, certainly less than the trailer cost. I don't know if they sell a slider version or not - check out their website. I believe it is www.trailersaver.com.

rick_debbie_gallant

Trust me when I say this zypher74, "buy a hitch bigger than you will need". You will eventually upgrade if you stay in this long enough. Then when you get a bigger unit you won't have to explain to the chief navigator/general why you also need a new hitch. Besides bigger is always better.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Zephyr, I just sold my 18K Pullrite SuperGlide, and bought a used TS3 trailer saver made by Hensley (you should check out the Hensley thread I started a while back. Most people commented on how awesome a air bag hitch was for smoothing out the ride. In the last 2 weeks, we traveled over a 1,000 and found a distinctive positive difference in the ride of a hitch like this. Besides the 50% nicer ride, there is a hidden benefit for sure. I was looking out my rear mirror as well as checking the wildly swinging gauge in the cab, I was blown away seeing the extended hitchpin and rig going up and down due to the 2 air bags, and realized that normally your truck and front cap area take alot of the punishment of the pavement, and could cause frame damage. Imagine the removed stress on the whole rig and TV when utilizing this type hitch. Don't get me wrong. The pullrite was a dream, and the slider was awesome. But my back needed a smoother ride, and now I got it. Rick and Debbi Galant now are the proud owners of this Pullrite hitch and will be happy with it. Zephyr, go to Craig's list and get a used hitch for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Air bag hitches are a must in my book. Trailer Saver and Air Safe. Take your choice.

Hi ,
I have the same 3010 unit at the dealer right now ( 2008 Dodge 3500 Mega-cab). Looking at the same hitch setup Q-5 20 K .
When towing does the hitch & pin stay tight with no slop around pin !
Also which brake controler are you using !

Thanks

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Before we bought our BigHorn I did a lot of research on hitches. I really liked the B&W. I looked at them at a dealer an55d talked to owners. The only problem I have with them is the 18K capacity for the companion. I finally chose a Curt Q5 20K, I wanted enough hitch for the job. I am really satisfied with it so far. I am pulling a BigHorn 3685RL behind a 2010 Ford F-350 Dually Diesel. Every thing seems to match up pretty good.