Antique glazed cherry stain color.

ChopperBill

No end table (between the recliners) is coming in our new Bighorn. So we are going to borrow the oak table out our trade in and have my brother refinish it. Anyone know the Minwax or other equivalent stain color that would match up the the cherry interior? Have nothing to match until ours get here and we want to be ready to go.

musicman

If you find out please let me know.....we are getting a 2011 (cherry wood) without an end table also.....Bummer.......Tried to get one from Heartland....they do not have any in warehouse......So we are going to buy something and stain it ourselves.....Great Question You Have Asked!!!

Thanks in advance......

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Might not get you anywhere, but you might try calling Heartland to see if they can give you some info on the stain. Or sell you a small amount of it. Trying to match it with MinWax may be problematic, depending on what the "cherry" in the rig looks like. If you have to wait until you actually get the rig, get a piece of oak that matches the table you plan to stain and practice on it. If the MinWax doesn't get it, you could try mixing up your own dewaxed shellac and tinting it, then using an alkyd based varnish over it. I made this cabinet for the wife to put her "retirement" radio/CD/turntable gift on, that I got for her. Got the color to almost match by starting with a MinWax stain, then tinted home-brew shellac, and finally with the varnish (P&L 38 Satin). It's not hard, but the shellac flakes, alcohol and tint will set you back a few bucks. That varnish also is not cheap, either, but it's better than polyurethane and does not smell as bad or as long.

If I'm talking to an experienced woodworker, I apologize.
View attachment 7439

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Chopper,
Take an existing door from the camper and an unfinished sample of the wood you intend to stain to Sherwinn Williams and they will mix to match and test it on the unfinished sample you have. I have sone this numerous times.

Mark

P.S. Dude! You're getting a Bighorn!

ChopperBill

Exact match is not essential. We bought two cherry "wood" stools to go with ours (they seem to have be eliminated also) that almost look red compared to the brochure. Probably will re-do them also. Would like the table to match up with the kitchen table with out looking like a turd in a punch bowl. LOL. Just thought some one out there had been through the same thing and had a close match they could share. The new unit will be here about a week before we take it up the WY for our summer stay. Just wanted everything ready to go. Have inverter, thermostat and other tune up items to install in a short time span.

p.s. Dude! Renee is getting a Bighorn! I'm going along for the ride!

ChopperBill

Took my literature, as that is all I had for comparison, to Lowe's (sponsor of Jimmy Johnson 4 times in a row, soon to be 5, Sprint Cup Champion) to look at stain. Settled on Cabot Cherry. They had MinWax but their Cherry seemed to be more mahogany then cherry to me. The Cabot had just a hint of red which seemed to match up with my picture best. Wish I had a stained sample to have one mixed. Anyone come up with something a little more positive let us know.

cashb

We have the cherry wood in our 2011 Sundance and hubby built two fold down shelves to go on walls beside recliners ( as opposed to a table between) He did a super job and they look like they were built with it so I will ask him what stain he used. To me, the cherry cabinetry looks more like mahogany and we bought two magazine racks from CW that say they are pine with a mahogany stain and they match perfectly!

cashb

Well I found out that hubby used natural stain but it is on cherry veneer wood. So that probably doesn't help your situation. Sorry!

ChopperBill

Thanks for the update. We went to the dealers to look at the unit they had is stock to prepare myself for some of my tuning. I found the Cabinets and the rear desk look closer to mahogany like you say. The table and chairs look more cherry. Conclusion: guess it wont matter as long as it table I am refinishing isn't light oak.