Trailer lift...

Bighurt

Has anyone lifted their Heartland?

Probably can't tell from my sig, that I'm a truck guy... As such I'm a lifted truck guy.

The Ford is currently stock, but its looking more and more like it may get a lift in the future. Obviously having a 5th wheel makes a lift difficult.

Were not talking 16" of lift, max would probably be an 8" suspension with tires maybe 10" max lift.

I know it can be done, the question is has it been done.

Not looking for criticism concerning my ideas, just feeling out those who may have. It's conceivable that this may never happen. However I'm not without chasing an idea and prove myself wrong.

Conceivably I could have longer trailer spring bent by Atlas or National spring and beyond my way. This is easy for up to 4" of lift beyond that the shackle mounts will need to move.

Additionally front jacks and rear stabilizers will require mods to reach the ground. The steps will need more length the awning will provide less shade and there is always the overall height concern.

I'm just tossing around ideas, feel free to ignore the post.

Thanks
Jeremy

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just curious. Why would you want to lift the trailer? Mine is high enough. As it sits it is 13'2" tall. Anymore and you might have clearance trouble. You could lift it some by going from 16" tires to 19" on either or both truck and trailer. Another consideration is wind. I have driven in 30 mph + winds and it is tough enough. Also it sat outside in Hurricane Ike and did okay but I wouldn't want it any higher. If you ever stay inside during 40 mph wind gusts you will already feel it rocking enough.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Just curious. Why would you want to lift the trailer? Mine is high enough. As it sits it is 13'2" tall. Anymore and you might have clearance trouble. You could lift it some by going from 16" tires to 19" on either or both truck and trailer. Another consideration is wind. I have driven in 30 mph + winds and it is tough enough. Also it sat outside in Hurricane Ike and did okay but I wouldn't want it any higher. If you ever stay inside during 40 mph wind gusts you will already feel it rocking enough.

I don't and probably won't it was just a thought. If the pickup gets taller then the 5th wheel gets taller, and so the pin must also go up.

Kind of a null point after talking with the wife yesterday she just told me to buy another truck...that's a first.

So I probably just finish the murder on the K1500 (runs 37's) and buy the 818 (will run 53's) in a few years.

My 3300RLB is 12'4" and 13'6" is max height so there is room to grow but I don't necessarily want it.

Thanks for the comments.

RollingHome

BigHurt, I'm not going to ask why, that's your biz... but, I want to share some info with you. I have a late model Silverado... the so called "new body style". Gm raised the side rails and tailgate and I believe, lifted the bed. This is giving me and others heartburn. See my post under Distance between TV and BH. I'm still trying to get this problem solved. I have a slight problem, I can't tow my brand new 3670RL with my 3500HD without fear of the bumper and/or tailgate impacting the BH, I'd say that's a slight problem. Open up Newbies post under King Pin height. He too has a concern, he also has the "new body style". These problem's are both because of the latest and greatest height of the bed rails. Learn from our dilema and make your decision, good luck.

Bighurt

BigHurt, I'm not going to ask why, that's your biz... but, I want to share some info with you. I have a late model Silverado... the so called "new body style". Gm raised the side rails and tailgate and I believe, lifted the bed. This is giving me and others heartburn. See my post under Distance between TV and BH. I'm still trying to get this problem solved. I have a slight problem, I can't tow my brand new 3670RL with my 3500HD without fear of the bumper and/or tailgate impacting the BH, I'd say that's a slight problem. Open up Newbies post under King Pin height. He too has a concern, he also has the "new body style". These problem's are both because of the latest and greatest height of the bed rails. Learn from our dilema and make your decision, good luck.

I've followed along those threads and while they have little relevance I have taken note. If I lifted the truck I would lift the trailer.

In your case adding a leaf to the spring pack or a spacer block is the best bet for an inch or so. I don't like lift blocks, my chevy has a 10" lift all leaf spring in the rear.

Again we are leaning away from the lift for the current FORD, I'd much rather have the 818....

2010augusta

It might be a mute point now but I will look at this another way and say instead of lifting the trailer why not just lower the bedsides? Sounds like you are into customization, so make the bedsides drop down low enough to clear the stock hight trailer and make the hitch set low in the bed. sort of like the profile of the hauler bed on our 450.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although not a Heartland rig, my brother-in-law raised their 29ft Golden Falcon 5'er. He did it so he could pull it to his deer hunting sight in northern Michigan and not drag it in the snow. But my 5'3" sister claims she has to yodel to get into it. Since it also raises the entry steps, an extra step stool may be needed to get into it.

As for clearance problems with the "new GM body style," mine is a 2009 GMC 3500 with a 3670 on it. Where is there a clearance problem?View attachment 7450

Bighurt

It might be a mute point now but I will look at this another way and say instead of lifting the trailer why not just lower the bedsides? Sounds like you are into customization, so make the bedsides drop down low enough to clear the stock hight trailer and make the hitch set low in the bed. sort of like the profile of the hauler bed on our 450.

That's an idea, although not exactly the look I'm going for, but something I hadn't considered.

Thanks