Hwy 550, Durago to Grand Junction, Colorado

sunriverman

Aside from today's snow can anyone shed light on this section of Hwy 550. Looks like three passes all over 10,000' ! Is this route RV frinedly or should I take I-40 west out of Albuquerque and then 89 north to eventually get to Grand Junction. Appreciate any help.

RoadJunkie

If there is any hint of storm I would not go the 550 route. You are crossing a couple of (really) high passes that I take while riding a motorcycle in July/August and still freeze my hinney; seems like it rains every afternoon. Anyway, you're OK from Ouray to GJ but between Durango and Ouray it can be quite a ride, with switchbacks on the final decent into both Ouray and Silverton. Now, Alamosa, Gunnison, Montrose to GJ might be an alternate route, as well. Stop and see the Great Sand Dunes outside of Alamosa, but then the Alamosa valley is really a cold spot. Good luck.

tmcran

Be very careful on this part of 550. I lived in G J for 7 years. I didn't like crossing Red Mountain and some of the others even in the summer. The weather can change very fast. As Road Junkie said Ouray to G J is ok.

ChopperBill

I lost the brakes on my S10 blazer pulling an ATV one year going over 550, (The Million Dollar Highway). That was scary! Just barely got stopped behind a car in front of me that was stopped for tunnel construction. All 4 brakes were smoking and the plastic centers melted out of the wheel centers. Of course I was younger and driving like an idiot but I never tell anyone that part of the story.

2010augusta

I have driven 550 from Ouray to Sliverton many times in a Jeep, but I do not think I would take the Landmark over it. There are some VERY tight switchback and I have seen trailers drag the rear bumper on a few of them. It is two lanes with very few passing lanes and NO guard rails. the scenery is great but the snow can last well into July. The grade is quite steep in some areas.

I would advise an alternate route if you have a very large RV.