Water tank filling question

robnmo

We're entirely new to this whole RV thing, and been learning as much as possible, we spent yesterday putting water to the Cyclone, hooked up to the city water fitting, filled the water heater to make sure it works, checked all the plumbing, etc, even re-winterized it to see how that went. We were proud of our selves, but after reading the manuel, etc, we filled the water tank and ran the pump to ck all that, worked great, BUT is there some way to fill the fresh water tank without standing there holding the water hose? The manual read like you can hook the waterhose to the city water inlet to fill the tank but didn't work for us, what are we doing wrong? Do we need to have a special hook up to fill the fresh tank or simply stand and hold the gravity fill inlet for it? We're lost as usual. :confused: Thanks for all the info so far.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rob, make a trip the Wally World (Walmart) or Camping World and get the nozzle that goes on the end of the hose. The one I have has a clear plastic hose on the end, will screw on the end of your hose and has a shut off valve on it. Are you using a regular garden hose to fill your tank or one of the white water hoses. A garden hose is OK if you are never going to drink the water. When I have turned on my garden hose ...many things have washed out of it. Not sure if I wanted to make coffee with it. I also put a little bleach in the fresh tank when it is sitting. Not much, maybe a cup full. This way when you turn on any water in the coach it will kinda sanitize all the lines and fausets. Just run everything until the smell goes away.

Are you using a water filter of any sort when hooked up to city water?? It would be a good idea to have one. You can buy the undersink ones at HD or Lowes and they are the same ones that you can buy at Camping World only about 1/2 the price.

Hope this helps. PM or email me if you need more help. Bob

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Rob
For a long time I tried to fill my fresh water tank. Never could get it to fill over about 1/3. Read in a post here that did the trick, but yes you need to stand by while you fill the tank. If you don't you may get to much water in it. It may just flow out the filler or maybe the vent, but if it does not you could burst your tank.

Here is what I now do. I put a cut off valve I got from Lowe's on my normal hose. Then I took an extra 1/2" fresh water hose and connected it to the water valve. I then cut off all of the extra hose except about 6 foot that I could stick down into the fresh water filler opening. I take about 3 ft of the hose that I cut off put one end over the fresh water vent and blow. Believe it or not this did get rid of water in the vent line. I then turn on the water and start filling the tank. I like the cut off valve that I can put on one of my water hose and use it for many other things also. In fact I have a quick disconnect on most hoses and use a cut off valve on my hose I use to flush the black water tank so I don't have to run back to the water faucet.

That's what I do.
BC

robnmo

Thanks everyone for the replies and PM's. answered my question and a couple more without asking LOL a new Wally World and Home depot shopping list is started again.