What's the best hitch

BHEWITTJR

This is my first post so please bear with me. I just bought a 2006 BH 3400RL and my tv is a 2006 F250 6.0 Powerstroke 10,000 gvw long bed. I'm woundering witch hitch to buy. My dealer said the 15k Reese pro series is good enough. Is this right or do I need something better or different?

jimtoo

Hi BHEWITTJR,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and looks like the family also. Great to have you on board. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help and share their knowledge if needed.

Bob, I would buy a heavier duty hitch... I think the 3400RL gross is about 14,500. I would get at least a 16K or even an 18K if you can do it. If you buy the best or better hitch now, you will not need to replace it when you upgrade to a larger or heavier trailer. And at some point your gonna start thinking,, "This BH is nice, but what about if we traded for something a little larger or longer or a Landmark".

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

scott b

Behew, do yourself a favor and go to www.trailersaverhitch.com. Look at the TS3, this is a air ride hitch that will save the entire truck and trailer, a lot of stress , as well as give you the best towing ride. They are more expensive than anything else that you have looked at however the pros out weigh the cons. They will send you a Free video that shows you how they work, as well as pricing. Good Luck ..Scott

scott b

I have only heard Good things about the Air Safe hitch, as well as the Trailer Saver, I think they both use the Brinkley Head, although the Air Safe is a Four bag system and the Trailer Saver, is only a 2 bag set up. Either way , it is a better investment for you , and your equipment . In all the threads I have read about different Hitch types , the one thing I have never seen ,is someone complain about there Air ride. ...Scott

RollingHome

I canot add one thing better then what the other posters have already stated. They are dead on and I would take their advice. Spend it now or spend it later. Good luck and welcome :)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also have a 2006 F250 6.0 Diesel, Crew cab long bed. When I started I wanted to have a clean bed when I took out the hitch and I wanted to be able to lift the hitch out without any assistance.

I had the B&W Turn over ball with the Companion 5th wheel. The Gooseneck is rated at 30,000# and the 5th wheel is rated at 18,000#. It does not need a bed saver. It never binds up so I can not disconnect or connect. I can visually see if the jaws are closed properly and the jaws will not lock if it is not correctly hitched. It comes out in two parts that I can lift by my self. It leaves the bed smooth so you can lay a 4x8 plywood sheet flat on the bed floor. It also has 4 way movement, not just front to back.

It is a bit more expensive than the others, but it is a great fit for about any Heartland Trailer.

Check out this web site... B&W Turnoverball

Now, yes I am predigest about my hitch.

FWIW
BC

scotty

I have the same 5er and tow with an 07 Dodge short bed. I use a 16K Reese swivel (No slider) and have no issues. However, I tend to agree with comments regarding the Air Hitch. If I were buying now I would go for the air hitch. My tongue weight runs right at 3K and the 16K Reese hitch is rated at 4k tongue, not sure about the 15K. Go bigger, you won't regret it later.

BHEWITTJR

Just to let everyone know I ordered a 16k Pullrite Super 5th with the super rails so I can easly remove it and still have full use of my bed with only 4 holes in it. A friend of mine has the slider version and loves it, but since I have a 8' bed I didn't think I needed the slider. I'll keep you up to date when it gets installed an I pick up my BH.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I use my truck alot and need a flat floor and easy removal, I have the B&W hitch with the companion fifth wheel plate. I have seen and read a lot of post on different hitches but I believe the B&W is the best. It is rated for 18K and has dual pivot head, and when removed leaves a flat floor, with only 1 hole (unless you add the gooseneck chain clips, which spring back to the floor when not used). I bought it for my first fifth wheel with the idea I would be upgrading in a few years. Well we upgrade to the BH in July of 09 and I didn'y have to woory about another hitch.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I just sold my 2 yr old 18K pullrite super glide hitch to a fellow forum member as I needed a smoother ride due to a bad back. It was an awesome hitch/slider combo and when it locks in u hear an audible snap shut. U must have bought used as their website shows only a 14K & 18K hitch. U must also use slip tight graphite spray on the inside and top of the slider.I went with the trailer saver Hensley TS3 with 2 air bags. Incredible difference in the ride and by watching those air bags go up and down, much less stress on the frame. Buy it used on Craigs list for half price and u won't be sorry.

Last edited:

ljsexton

We recently purchased the Trail Saver BD3 and do not regret one penny of the money it cost. Currently on a trip across country (from SC to AZ) and have went on some very rough roads on I -20 and I-10. You have to look in the mirrows occasionallly to make sure the BH3385 is still back there the ride is so smooth.

jimtoo

Hi ljsexton,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hope you have a great trip and make many good memories with your BH3385.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MC9

I too went with the pullrite super 5th with under bed mount. I also added the mor-ryde pin box. So far I am very impressed. It is the only hitch that allows you to have the drop-in bed liner that I have.

BHEWITTJR

I just brought home the new BH with the Pullrite hitch, and I was so suprised how smooth of a ride it was. Very satisfied with the hitch and the new BH so far.

BHEWITTJR

Ok, if anyone is still reading our maiden voyege was 2 weeks ago. We went to the Southern 500 in Darlington S.C. like we have for the past 15 years. Well, a couple of small problems poped up but nothing to ruin our trip. The towing was a breeze! We traded in a 31' Montana travel trailer that I towed for 9 years including a trip from Pa. to Vegas and back, ( 5700 miles round trip) and thought it towed good. Well this 5er has it all over that trailer, it's so easy to tow, back up, and park. Glad we made the switch.