Potential BigHorn Buyer with Many Questions!

GaryB

Hello All - I'm brand new to RVing and have been eyeing the BigHorn along with a few other competitors. I have a few (OK, many;) ) questions. Maybe between all of you, I can get them all answered. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

1. How does Bignorn stack up against "apples-to-apples" (pricewise) competitors such as Montana, etc.?
2. Are there any quality/functionality problems with BigHorn to watch out for?
3. Where’s the best place to buy one? I noticed that Lakeshore RV in Michigan seems to have some good prices. Any experience with them? Will local dealers give me a hard time getting repair work done if I buy from Lakeshore?
4. Is the single 15000 BTU AC sufficient? Will the second AC in bedroom increase the RV height to over 13 feet (I have a 13 ft door in my RV garage)?
5. I’m a big guy (6 ft, 260 lbs) – how’s the shower size? Is there a seat (or garden tub) option? My wife also wants to know how ladies shave their legs or bathe their infants in small corner showers without seats/high ledges.
6. To those of you pulling with short bed trucks – the website indicates that the curved nose of BigHorn eliminates the need for a slider hitch. Has that been your experience?
7. I read some debate in a 2005 post about 2005 BigHorn not having “Mor Ryde” suspension. The website implies the 2006 Bighorn’s have those. What exactly is the advantage of Mor Ryde?

J

jjjelm

1. How does Bignorn stack up against "apples-to-apples" (pricewise) competitors such as Montana, etc.?
2. Are there any
quality/functionality problems with BigHorn to watch out for?

3. Where’s the best place to buy one? I noticed that Lakeshore RV in Michigan seems to have some good prices. Any experience with them? Will local dealers give me a hard time getting repair work done if I buy from Lakeshore?
4. Is the single 15000 BTU AC sufficient? Will the second AC in bedroom increase the RV height to over 13 feet (I have a 13 ft door in my RV garage)?
5. I’m a big guy (6 ft, 260 lbs) – how’s the shower size? Is there a seat (or garden tub) option? My wife also wants to know how ladies shave their legs or bathe their infants in small corner showers without seats/high ledges.
6. To those of you pulling with short bed trucks – the website indicates that the curved nose of BigHorn eliminates the need for a slider hitch. Has that been your experience?
7. I read some debate in a 2005 post about 2005 BigHorn not having “Mor Ryde” suspension. The website implies the 2006 Bighorn’s have those. What exactly is the advantage of Mor Ryde?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Depending where you buy you can get a better price than a Montana.
2. We bought a 2006 (late in year model) in June "06" and have not had any problems.
3. We traveled 1200 miles to buy from Lakeshore...fantastic price, on site camping for PDI ( as long as you need), add ons at dealer cost and great service!
4. Lakeshore put in a bigger AC and keeps us very cool with no modifications.
5. Shower is large..no seat...give that baby a bath in a large dishpan!
6. We have a Chevy long bed.
7. We have MorRide...works great.

We are very happy with our Big Horn 3055RL...wonderful floorplan and lots of storage!! Wonderful Wyoming

Ray Robinson

Landmark and Bighorn Sales
Trying to get back with you

Hey Gary - I typed an email reply to your questions, but here at the
Super 8 in Seguin TX, their mail server doesn't seem to want to send the message! I'll send tomorrow when I'm at a different hotel with a better server! I'm glad you're interested in a Bighorn!

GaryB

Thanks Ray - I just posted some questions also in the "Ask the Factory" section. I wasn't sure whether you were with Heartland or not.

Thanks for the forthcoming email!
Gary

C

Chuckles

I am curious to know if the bedroom A/C unit is worth it or if the Fantastic fan keeps it cool enough with just the main A/C?

Also, is the fireplace worth for extra heat when in a park and plugged in, or can you just use a ceramic type heater from Walmart?

Any one have experience installing a generator? The factory only does gen prep.

Thanks

Forrest Fetherolf

I am curious to know if the bedroom A/C unit is worth it or if the Fantastic fan keeps it cool enough with just the main A/C?

Also, is the fireplace worth for extra heat when in a park and plugged in, or can you just use a ceramic type heater from Walmart?

Any one have experience installing a generator? The factory only does gen prep.

Chuckles,

I have a 3600RL and recently moved to Henderson, NV from Northridge, CA. I would recommend the second A/C living in NV. I have the fireplace and would not waste the space or $$ again. I don't use the fireplace heater because it is inefficient, a WalMart space heater works better for us. The dealer or RV shops can install the generator if you are unable to do the install yourself.

Forrest

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife

I thought I wanted a BigSky Montana until I saw our Bighorn. I liked the whole feel of it better and love our kitchen. I would go to the Heartland site and check out all the features because each manufacturer has so many options now it is almost impossible to answer that question

2. Are there any
quality/functionality problems with BigHorn to watch out for?

It seems like a lot of people have leaky shower stalls. We fixed ours with a tube of caulk. You could ask the dealer to recaulk the whole thing for you as a precaution.

No idea.

We will end up with a second ac in the bedroom but I don't have the height specs.

Once again, if you go to the Heartland site, you will see the shower and it has a seat/ledge in it. Tell your wife that I shave my legs every day and love that feature, lol. Neither DH or I are little folks either.

Yes.

No idea.

Uncle Rog

I have to go with Forrest on the 2nd AC unit, it is a great equalizer.
We purchased off the lot and the fire place came with the unit along with security camera etc........We enjoy the fire place but we could get along with out it. It does a good job for us in concert with the ceramic heaters.......................

Forrest, if that green arrow is you, looks like you are in the middle of a KS wheat field!

Forrest Fetherolf

Forrest, if that green arrow is you, looks like you are in the middle of a KS wheat field!

No wonder I couldn't find my green marker in Henderson, NV on the HOP map. I found it works better if the instructions are read and followed. I was moving the map with the cursor instead of the arrows on the left. Now my marker is safely back home.;)

Forrest