traveling to Mexico

Draco Dog

We will be traveling to Yuma, AZ in a month or so.

We have never been to Mexico and would love to visit.

We have our passports.

We are just thinking to park on the US side and take a bus into Mexico? Is that what most people do?

We want to only spend a few hours. Maybe, like so many others do, check on doctors, dentists and medicines.

Where can I get a list of what we can and cannot bring back into the states?

Any anything else we might need to know.

Traveling into a foreign country these days, a person needs to be aware of the laws of the land.

Thanks for your help.

tmcran

Big question? What city in Mexico are you planning to visit? In Texas the officals are putting out strong warnings about travel into Mexico. I would check with the AZ officials re :what they are recommending.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would not recommend going into Mexico right now. Drug wars and killings. It is not safe. If you do I would just walk across to the block or two next to the border. Check with the RV park where you are staying and they can give you more information. Whatever you do, be sure not to bring any guns or ammunition or that is instant jail.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
We spent the month of February at Quemado, Texas. We were on a mission trip to the Corner Stone Childrens Ranch. The Rio Grande river is about 100 yards from the ranch. Quemado is located just about half way between Eagle Pass , and Del Rio. We could hear gun fire not to far from us on the Mexican side. I would not recomend a trip to Mexico at this time. Best wishes with your decision , May God bless ya. Al & dee Weaver

driver311

at yuma there is a perking lot owned by the indians. u can park there with your trailer on. it is about 300 ft. to the border. all doctors dentists and med are on the main st. all with in 3 blocks

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We crossed the border at Nuevo Progresso and noticed a higher than normal Mexican army. Texas DPS has recommended avoiding crossing the border due to the drug wars going on. We didn't go any further into Mexico than necessary, which was less than two blocks. We made our purchases and came back across.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A couple of years ago, while attending a class at Playas, NM, we were warned not to be on the Mexican side of the border after sundown. And this class was full of firefighters and law enforcement officers. Right now, based on the news, Mexico is probably two steps from total anarchy.

SmokeyBare

To get to Los Algodones Mexico from Yuma Arizona your going to need to drive west on I-8 getting off on Exit 166. ( Algodones Road )

Head South to the border, as already stated, there is a big parking lot owned by the local Indian Tribe. The parking is probably around $5.00 for an auto and slightly more for an RV. It's a secure lot fenced all around and completely paved. The walk across the border is short one and should be no lines, those happen on the return to the USA side. plan your departure early enough because you could wait in line for more than an hour. Spring break it was even longer.

Go early, enjoy a shirmp or fish taco... or have a plate full of shirmp. Very good !! You'll enjoy the market. Be prepared to bargin for the "stuff". They have a nice selection of Leaded glass windows that can replace the door window of your RV. Take a measurment if your interested in those. Have FUN.

SueJean

Hola! :cool:

We just returned from 11 days in Kino Bay, Mexico in February. This was our first long trip into Mexico and we opted to travel with a large group from Escapee's "Mexican Connection". There were 69 rigs that traveled together. You can read about our adventures there at our blogsite below.

We did not have any problems while in Mexico, but there were others in our group that did including a major accident caused by a reckless driver. The toll road is better there than many of the roads here in the States. :( However, there are some serious hazards with narrow or no shoulders and the dreaded "topes" or speedbumps that are everywhere.

Prior to our trip, we took a one day trip into Mexico via Eagle Pass, TX for medical reasons. Again we did not have any problems with being there for the day.

Since our return from Mexico, the news has been full of stories/reports about the violence that continues to escalate particularly in border towns. The "Mexican Connection" website has plenty of information about traveling in Mexico, however, this is a trip that should be considered very carefully.

We enjoyed Mexico, but I'm not sure that we'll consider making another trip anytime soon.

Blessings,

SueJean (and DannyLee)

Tom of Ypsi

Yuma may be different than other border crossing points. Not all are dangerous and yes the Mexican Army is present at most crossings. I have been into Mexico twice in the last two weeks, once at the ferry crossing at Los Ebanos Tx and the last time to Nuevo Progresso, Mx for a dentist appointment. I went by myself and shopped for a couple of hours all over town, not just main street, with no problems. Just remember you are a guest in another country. I am going back in a couple of days to do some more shopping and get some of that fine food off of the gut wagons scattered around town.

Draco Dog

We will be going into Mexico from Yuma to Los Algodones.

I was given the name of a dentist there with high recommendations. I need dental work done. Actually all I need is a spare upper plate. The cost is so minimal compared to our USA.

As you have advised, I will contact the campground where we will be staying. Probably RPI in Yuma.

And also will contact the authorities in Yuma before we plan to leave.

We just plan on parking our truck on the USA side and walking into Mexico. Not intending to stay any longer than we have to.

We would like to also check maybe into getting some new glasses and/or contacs and also on medications that can be purchased.

Thank you all for your information. You gave us ideas that we hadn't thought about.

And as I have said before. You are all awesome. Thanks for your help.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Leave a note in your vehicle so someone will know where to send the contents when you don't come back......................you can't be serious about going into Mexico......BEEN READING THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moose

Used to be all you got from going to Mexico was a case of the back door trots. Now it seems lead poisoning is more prevalent. LOL

Draco Dog

My original thread was 8 months ago. We went to Mexico and had a good time. We plan on going again next week. We do read the papers and occasionally watch TV. Thanks for your comments and concerns.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Draco, Where are you crossing at? Progresso? Please post your comments, we'll be down in a week and hope it's still the best place to cross. We're hoping to get some dental work done.

scott b

Keep in mind that going to Algodones , is no different really than going to the small towns on the US side of the border, with the exception of cheaper booze, perscriptions,and novelty items....oh yea and HUMAN RIGHTS. Keep in mind that Mexico is now, always has been , and always will be a Third world country . The number of killings and kidnappings in Border towns is greater now than it ever has been in history.You can sample all of Culture , food , color and art of old Mexico , right there in Yuma. I live in Southern Ca and can tell you that if people that Snowbird saw half of what we see on a daily basis with respect to activity in these border towns , they would never cross that White line on the asphalt. Folks will tell you ( its ok ,we have done it for years) but as I said its never been this bad . Ask yourself if saving a few bucks on medicine, booze or things of that nature , are worth the risk to yourself and your family ? Not to me.

Sorry , however we as Americans have worked hard and many soldiers have sacrificed there lives so that we can have the rights we have, and be able to live the way we do. It suprises me how quick people are risk all this for a bargain. Good Luck on your decision..Scott

SmokeyBare

Ray,

We hope to be in the Valley in January. If you get to Progresso, I'd like to hear which dentist you choose.

Thanks, Marv

rvn4fun

We are in Yuma now and go to Algondonos Mexico every few weeks. In fact December 4th is there welcome snowbirds ect festival down there. It is about a half hour from Yuma you just need a passport or passcard to get back into USA. Can bring back one bottle of booze per person per month and one carton of cigarretts per month, most perscriptions if you have a doctors perscription. It is a lot of fun down there and resonably safe. 160 doctors and dentists in a small area. I was reading the other day that winter visitors spend a million dollars a week there. Wife got two pairs of glasses there last week for 1/4 of what it would cost up here. Very good shrimp tacos and resonable margaritas. Can hardly wait to get back there again!