Fan and TV Booster Conflict

When we turn on the fan in either the bathroom or bedroom, it appears to interfere with the TV reception when using the antennae/booster. Does not occur when we use cable or sattelite. Sometimes it pixilizes the picture, sometimes the reception is completely gone. Any thoughts?

Elevatorman

Wow! If your booster switch is in the bedroom like mine, there might be a possibility that the coax is wrapped or crossing the power lines to those fans. Both of which (fans), are probably fed from the same run forward in the ceiling. The current flow when you turn them on could be messing up the signal from the booster. Tough thing will be accessing the ceiling and separating them. I also wonder about proper grounding of the shielding on the coax. Where's the cable guy when you need him?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Does that in my rig, too. Something about the 12V motors not being shielded and putting out RF noise. Solution: lay off the beans and weiners and you won't need to turn on the bathroom fan. :rolleyes::D

wdk450

It seems to me that this one came up before. The small DC fan motors use a brush and commutator system that makes a lot of sparks and electrical noise. This will be picked up by your antenna on the roof, but might not affect your cable reception. With digital TV, too much noise on the signal will blank out the screen.
The classic way to filter this out is to wire a small ceramic capacitor (.001 uFd, 20 volts or greater) across the power wires as close to the motor as possible. This shorts out the AC signals (radio frequency waves are AC signals) on the power wires while not affecting the DC power. A radio noise filter from Radio Shack might help too.
Some people have tried switching the fan out to a computer-type "muffin" fan. This type of fan doesn't produce electrical noise as it uses a different type of motor without a commutator.

Wharton

We had this problem years ago and I think we contacted Fantastic fans(assuming you have these) and they sent us something. This was at least 8 years ago so the details are very blurry...................