Anyone know what happened? Water pump check valve issue?

Camping in West Texas last weekend in my new 3010. The temperature fell below freezing Friday night. Early Saturday morning, I heard a funny noise right below the sink (clunking noise like someone was rooting through the storage compartment) when I was using the lavatory. Water supply was normal.

A little later I was outside looking aroung and there was a large puddle of water under the docking station. Looking closely, I finally figured out the water was coming out the the little "overflow" port between the city water feed and the potable water tank fill.

Checking the control console, I found out the potable water tank that used to be half full was now completely full. I had the furnace on overnight due to the freezing weather and the compartment door was closed.

I drained most of the water out of the water tank on the way home to Houston. When I got home, I hooked up city water and everything seemed normal with no indications that the potable water tank was being filled again.

Anyone understand how the 3010 is plumbed and how this could have happened?

Bob in Houston

SmokeyBare

Re: Anyone know what happened?

Taking a guess here. The water pump is connected to the plumbing and has a built in check valve to prevent the city water pressure from back flowing into the fresh water tank. Could be that valve was allowing a small flow of water into the Fresh water tank.

Now as to the noise... Not a clue!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

A friend had the same thing happen and it was the check valve.

Thanks guys. Is the check valve something that can be replaced or does the whole pump need to be changed out? I'll just watch it for now; it may have something to do with the freezing weather.

BTW, how do you upload your avatar photo?

Bob in Houston

After discussing w/ the dealer, they sent me a check valve. Apparently, the model I have has an integral check valve in the pump. The thinking is there is some debris keeping it from closing properly. The check valve they sent me screws in between the filter on the suction side of the pump and the screw-on suction hose connection.

Should do the trick, but I haven't been hooked back to city water as yet for a confirmation.

Bob in Houston

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Bob, something else that can be done as a temporary solution would be to close the little ball valve in the line from the fresh water tank to the pump. On my rig, it's located about 10 inches prior to the connection on the pump.

My tank has been loosing prime and running for a split second every 15 minutes. Also it's filling the tank over a course of 3 days. I suspect the pump, as I leak tested the camper on the output side at 25 pounds of air for 30 minutes with no loss. Heartland won't send me a new pump. They keep telling me to tow it to a dealer. I've been dragging my feet because I know I'll lose the unit for several weeks knowing dealers....

Your Cyclone is as new as mine. My dealer's service/parts man discussed the problem w/ his service guy and Heartland. After that he just mailed me the check valve. I would rather do the work myself than have the rig at the dealer's forever. Maybe your dealer would to the same (or not).

Bob in Houston

Your Cyclone is as new as mine. My dealer's service/parts man discussed the problem w/ his service guy and Heartland. After that he just mailed me the check valve. I would rather do the work myself than have the rig at the dealer's forever. Maybe your dealer would to the same (or not).

Bob in Houston

I spoke to Heartland several times, even on how to diagnose the issue myself, and then the results. They agree the check valve is leaking, and it seems to be the pump. However, they refused to send me another one based on an exchange. They want me to take it back to a dealer. Not exactly handy, not exactly bend over backwards either, but....not exactly a denial of warranty either. So I'll deal with it. Keystone would never have called me in the first place.

My tank has been loosing prime and running for a split second every 15 minutes. Also it's filling the tank over a course of 3 days. I suspect the pump, as I leak tested the camper on the output side at 25 pounds of air for 30 minutes with no loss. Heartland won't send me a new pump. They keep telling me to tow it to a dealer. I've been dragging my feet because I know I'll lose the unit for several weeks knowing dealers....

GPSHEMI:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE WARRANTY WORK DONE AT A HEARTLAND DEALER! Simply choose a 3rd party RV repairer, call Heartland Service for pre-authorization, and take it in for service. 3rd party repairers have a vested interest in rapid turnaround.

gpshemi

Just an update.

We hit a new place called Hidden Ridge RV Resort this past weekend in Hopkins Michigan. Nice place by the way. Just up the road about 4-5 miles was General RV of Waylan. I stopped in for grins and talked to a service advisor Cadice Downs. She was very agreeable. She listened to my story, and gave me a new pump to try out. I installed the pump, and tested it over a half hour. The pump never lost prime or leaked. My troubles with the Shurflo lossing prime seem to be over.

pineguy

I am having the same problem on my 1 year old 3850 cyclone. Water leaking into holding tank when connected to fresh water supply.

Would someone be able to provide a link to one of these screw in check valves so I could purchase one or even see what they might look like.

This help would be very appreciated!

Re: Anyone know what happened? Yes

The integral check valve in the pump either is broke or is held open with some debris. The fix is easy, just insert an in-line check valve between the filter and its screw-on hose. Don't have any details; it was sent to me by the dealer. Just open the panel, crawl in and start screwing it in. Sorry I can't find any photos of it but here is where it goes:

4May10 004.jpg
It's in there
4May10 005.jpg
No tools needed

Bob in Houston

TedS

Re: Anyone know what happened? Yes

If you must install a check valve, it would be better to install the in-line check valve in the pump outlet line rather than the inlet. It is not a good idea to add flow restriction to the suction side of the pump. The 1 psi to open the valve is not significant in the pressure side. You may lose pump performance with the check valve in the suction line.

Repair the pump. Shurflo has repair parts.