How often to replace WH element?

Patty62

How often does the heating element for the hot water heater( anoid??) need to be replace?
I have a North Country 26 SRL, this will be our second season using it. Wanted to know if this needed to be replaced yearly?? Thanks:angel:

jimtoo

Re: How often ?

Hi Patty 62,

How often it needs to be replaced depends on they water you use. Generally about once a year, although I did go 2 years on the first one, but I am using a water softener.

It does not take bur a few minutes to check it, and you can also wash out the sediment from the heater also.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Not expensive either. I think my new one was $12. You'll need a 1 1/16th inch socket and a 1/2" drive socket wrench or breaker bar with a short extension.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I have never (knock on wood) had to replace the heating ELEMENT in the water heater. Our last RV we had for almost 6 years and used it alot, and never had to replace it. This RV is over 2 years old and same thing.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Patty62, the anode rod and water heating element are two separate items. The anode rod should be inspected at least annually and replaced as needed. If there is still a good amount of material remaining on the rod, it can be cleaned off a bit and re-used. The heating element would only need to be replaced when it fails. We're going on 4 years of full time use and ours is still kicking. I have replaced the anode rod once since we've owned the trailer. We've always filtered our water with both sediment and charcoal filters.

Dave012

Patty 62,

There is some really good information on the Anode Rod and Electric Element in the RV Glossary on this site. Click on the WIKI link above, select RV Glossary and then click on the definition. The one on Anode Rod is complete, and the one on Electric Element Jim B. is still doing some work on, but it still has some good info.

Dave