What to I need? USB only printer to wireless?

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I have a HP 1400 printer/scanner/copier, that is USB only. I would like to be able to print to it from my laptop using my usb wireless adapter (Hawkins). I don't want to install another computer in the RV. I think some type of stand alone print server is needed, but I'm not sure. We have about 2 1/2 weeks before move to the SP to start our volenteering for this year. What do I need

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
retired4fun did you buy one? and if so how does it work

OOPS reread the thread from your link, you asked the same question today

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have an HP J6480 all in one wireless and it works great. I use it at the house and sometimes in the RV.

Bighurt

I have a HP 1400 printer/scanner/copier, that is USB only. I would like to be able to print to it from my laptop using my usb wireless adapter (Hawkins). I don't want to install another computer in the RV. I think some type of stand alone print server is needed, but I'm not sure. We have about 2 1/2 weeks before move to the SP to start our volenteering for this year. What do I need

I'm not directly seeing the question here....so please forgive.

Sounds like you are trying to wireless connect your HP 1400 to your laptop. This can be done. HP actually makes a wireless upgrade kit. Consists of a powered adapter their proprietary USB can connect to (proprietary on the printer end) and a power cord. Also has a USB 2.0 wireless computer adapter (your current wireless adapter on the PC may already work), it also comes with the software to connect the two. The kit allows nearly all HP printers to become wireless just in case you upgrade down the line.

Unfortunately due to HP's proprietary USB port on the printer its next to impossible to make your own or buy non HP products, furthermore it would be even harder to connect as the printer may not except freeware.

I would save myself the trouble and buy the kit.

As for the wireless PC adapter it plugs into an available USB port.

Hope this helps, I drive a desk so the only wireless I deal with is tech support for the wife...

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I have an HP J6480 all in one wireless and it works great. I use it at the house and sometimes in the RV.

Thanks Jim, my all in one works great but is only usb. The Netgear unit that the link went to looks good and for $19 if it will do what it says, is a good buy.

We used the printer in the BH last year but had to use the USB cable to print, and with a dog running around a cable is a problem waiting to happen.

ChopperBill

Thanks Jim, my all in one works great but is only usb. The Netgear unit that the link went to looks good and for $19 if it will do what it says, is a good buy.

We used the printer in the BH last year but had to use the USB cable to print, and with a dog running around a cable is a problem waiting to happen.
Steve I got an answer on the other site saying all the functions of my printer may not work with that adaptor. Dont know how much that is true.

ChopperBill

I'm not directly seeing the question here....so please forgive.

Sounds like you are trying to wireless connect your HP 1400 to your laptop. This can be done. HP actually makes a wireless upgrade kit. Consists of a powered adapter their proprietary USB can connect to (proprietary on the printer end) and a power cord. Also has a USB 2.0 wireless computer adapter (your current wireless adapter on the PC may already work), it also comes with the software to connect the two. The kit allows nearly all HP printers to become wireless just in case you upgrade down the line.

Unfortunately due to HP's proprietary USB port on the printer its next to impossible to make your own or buy non HP products, furthermore it would be even harder to connect as the printer may not except freeware.

I would save myself the trouble and buy the kit.

As for the wireless PC adapter it plugs into an available USB port.

Hope this helps, I drive a desk so the only wireless I deal with is tech support for the wife...

Big, cant seem to find that adaptor. Have a link? Price?

On edit: Oops! Found it. Thanks.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Well I just ordered the print server that retired4fun showed in his post. Talked to a couple of the IT guys at work, and thought it woulf do the trick. Should have it Wednesday or Thurday, will let you know how it works.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Well I got the print server and missed 1 important step before I bought it. it was to check the compataibility of the printer and the print server. WELL found out mine wasn't compatible.

So we're going to look for a ALL-IN-ONE for the fifth wheel.

I will use the print server at home or give it to my Daugther for her apartment at school.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well I got the print server and missed 1 important step before I bought it. it was to check the compataibility of the printer and the print server. WELL found out mine wasn't compatible.

So we're going to look for a ALL-IN-ONE for the fifth wheel.

I will use the print server at home or give it to my Daugther for her apartment at school.

Check out the HP Officejet J6480 ALL-In-One. It is wireless and we love ours.