need help in towing weight

angel

I have a 2004 silverado 2500 hd excab with towing pkg with 6L gas engine and I am buying a 2010 sundance 3100 es and i have been racking my brains out trying to figure out if I am ok to tow this 5th wheel trailer with dry weight would appreciate
any advice anyone who can figure this out thank you

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
angel, this 2004 TOWING GUIDE might help in determening what you can tow. You didn't state if it is 4X4, automatic or what size box you have. It all matters. The Sundance weights are, GVWR-13,970 Lbs, dry weight is 9,700 lbs and has a pin weight of 1,970.
Hope this helps.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• 883783_Towing_Gui&#10.pdf
    509.4 KB · Views: 22

Bighurt

I have a 2004 silverado 2500 hd excab with towing pkg with 6L gas engine and I am buying a 2010 sundance 3100 es and i have been racking my brains out trying to figure out if I am ok to tow this 5th wheel trailer with dry weight would appreciate
any advice anyone who can figure this out thank you

Chevy doesn't rate the 2500HD with the 6.0L to tow more than 10300lbs, depending on specifications like Dave mentioned it could be as low as 8000. When factoring your vehicle for towing you need to use the GVWR of the trailer in this case 13970. I suggest either look to upgrading your TV if this is indeed the trailer you want, or move to the Sundance XLT line.

Welcome to the forum sorry for the bad news.

2010augusta

check out the links in this post.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11917-Calculator-for-TV-and-Trailer-Ratings

Bighurt

check out the links in this post.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11917-Calculator-for-TV-and-Trailer-Ratings

If I go by that tool I can't tow my Sundance with my F350.

And my 5 ton truck can only tow 2000 lbs...I think it broke.

2010augusta

I think it is user error, I just rechecked everything with the weights of the 450 and it still verifies that we are within the limits with our 16,200# Landmark.

Attachments

• weight..JPG
    weight..JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 14

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Angel, here's my thoughts on this. Your truck will pull it. But your trans will not last very long and you will be putting a really big load on that small gas engine. If you really want that trailer, buy it, get it home, then find a good used 2500 with the duramax/allison combo. Your fuel mileage will be alot better and you will love the trans braking with allison. It will be worth the extra bucks later on. JMHO Bob

Bighurt

I think it is user error, I just rechecked everything with the weights of the 450 and it still verifies that we are within the limits with our 16,200# Landmark.

I don't doubt it could be a user error but even your truck numbers don't come close to what the manual from Ford says. At least for mine it gives 15200 max 5th wheel towing, but the calculator only gives me 11700.

The reason I used the 5 ton is because the data plate gives every number the calculator looks for, I had to estimate the unloaded rear axle weight on the Ford. I wish I could see the calculation to figure out what is going on. I did make a mistake on the 5 ton but it still doesn't help me out with the 350.

If everyone was using the calculator the only thing hauling Sundance and up could be a 450, or 4500 and up. I don't even want to calculate an F150 or 1500. What's even worse is the triple axle toy haulers need an F550 or 5500.

angel

thanks for the reply guys I will haul it home on dry weight and take my time and will look for another truck that give me more room for safety in towing the trailer thanks to everyone it great to have other people help and opinions thanks again

Bob&Patty

Angel, if you like the Chevy/GMC trucks, then look for one of these. Try to find a 2005-2007 Classic 2500. The 05 will have the "2" motor with the 5 speed trans. The 06-07 will have the "D" motor and the 6 speed trans. Both of these trucks have a GCVWR of 22K. Your hitch will fit all 3 years frame. You wont have to buy different mounting plates. I went from a 05 C/C short bed to a 07 C/C 4WD long bed and it all fit. The 06-07 have more HP and torque than the 05. Wish I knew you were needing a bigger truck...just sold my 05. OH WELL.........Bob

angel

hi Bob are we still talking gas engine here 6 L or bigger or is it the transmission giving it the extra power, nice to know because I am not fond of diesel but it might be better to go that way if I am going to do a lot of traveling in a couple of years Thanks for the info Angel

Bighurt

One thing to remember with Diesel...

Twice the price on parts
Twice the price on Labor
Twice the longevity

Its also easier to get hp gains out of a diesel...

Bob&Patty

Angel, for any heavy rig, I would not use a gas motor. If you found a 2500 with the 8100 gas motor and the allison combo your fuel mileage will be 1/2 of what a duramax will get. Have had and still do have friends that have that combo. They get between 6-8 MPG. We get between 10-12 MPG loaded pulling and everything from California is up hill. Our rig weighs in at 21K. All I can do is advise you. Its your choice and money.

lwmcguir

If you are going to do any serious traveling or heavy duty towing then you want a Diesel. You will get tired of the engine fan noise at high RPM trying to cool the engine and give you the HP / Torque you need to keep moving down the road. If you are going to travel a few hundred miles or less a year then get a gas rig.

RollingHome

Angel, my last TV was a 2500HD 4X4, it had a 8.1 litre gas engine and a Alison 5 speed. I pulled a 28' tow behind trailer the TV had plenty of power. This TV was a extended cab short bed. Now the down side. The tank only held 22 gallons of gas. I got 5 to 8 miles per gallon pulling the trailer so I had limited range 6 x 22 = 132 miles (for real, I was filling every 100 miles). It's a no no to put a transfer (gasoline)tank in the bed, some do it, I wouldn't. I did carry an "official" 5 gallon tank in the camper top for the genny and just in case. After owning it for 5 years I puchased a 3500HD diesel Jan 2010, the difference is night and day... I won't go back. I would have to agree with all the comments posted.

angel

Thanks for the info guys I will be getting a new truck before the year is out and I plan on making some long trip in a couple years ,I would like to all of the western states
if everything go to plan and i thought i might get away with a bigger gas engine but it seem diesel is the answer thank again for the help