Furnace intermittent

SingerJC

On our first outing, the furnace periodically would light off, but not every time. You can hear the electronic ignition working, but most of the time, the furnace would not light off, resulting in cold air. The furnace did work, but only after cycling the thermostat 3 or 4 times.

Is there a secret to adjusting this furnace? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim and Cathy (and Leila too)

2010augusta

Since this is your first outing, it sounds like the LP system was not bleed properly. Air can be trapped in the lines causing the furnace to go out. turn on and light all the burners on the range and you should have a nice steady flame on all the burners. if the furnace keeps acting up then do a search and you should be able to find another answer.

BozRazor

Also, if the wind is blowing toward the side of your unit the furnace is on it could give you problems, we stopped at a truck stop one night to sleep and didn't check the wind direction, furnace did all kinds of weird stuff all night long...except keep us warm.

SingerJC

Okay, after bleeding the stove, the furnace came on. Then we went back later, and you can hear the ignition try to light, but it doesn't come on. Just blows cold air. My husband is still out there trying to figure it out. He opened up the panel and blew it out, and got some stuff out of it, but it seems to work when it feels like it.
Anything else you can think of that we need to do? There is no wind here tonight, either.

Jim and Cathy Singer

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You may have already tried this but sometimes spiders and other insects make their nests in the burner tube. It may need to be cleaned. And don't forget to check the obvious, i.e. the propane level in the tank and the tank itself. It is possible to have a bad regular even though the stove works. Change tanks and see if that cures it and if it does you tank could be defective.

SingerJC

This is a 2011 model. How do I access the feed line without removing the furnace, which I don't want to do, because it's brand new and under warranty. Thanx for the info.

2010augusta

you should be able to access everything by removing the four screws that hold the cover in-place the then slide the cover out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If it is still in warranty you may be able to get a mobile RV tech to come out and look at it. Just be sure he will work with your warranty and Heartland first. You will have to pay for the trip charge out of pocket though.

Rickhansen

The ignitor doubles as a flame sensor. If the flame safeguard controller doesn't sense the presence of flame within several seconds, it shuts the gas valve off. Make sure the ignitor/flame sensor are adjusted as described in the troubleshooting section of the owners manual.