spring maintenance

cableman

Just looking for ideas on the spring maintenance that everybody does to get ready for the season of camping. What to do with the furnace, fridge, plumbing, ect... I'll get the manual out later but was just interested on what everybody else does.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I run through a PDI, just like I was picking it up new, checking all the systems. I am especially looking for water leaks and appliance operation. I adjust the thermostat as necessary to get the furnace to come on and make sure it will cycle on and off by itself. If I can catch a warm day, I'll do the same with the A/C. I visually check the roof, clean up there as necessary and apply DICOR sealant anywhere it looks like a small seam crack may be developing. I do the same for the seams around the sides, front, and back. I run the slides in and out a few times, run the shades up and down, and check closely for any evidence of bugs and/or mice. I also check tire pressure and spring hanger assembly tightness. Think that just about covers it.

Found one new water leak, two burned out exterior marker lights, and one interior light. Everything else seems fine starting out this year.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Check the Anode to your hot water heater. Replace it if it is deteriorated. Pressurize your water system and make sure your water regulator is working. If you don't have one you might look into gettinng one.

FWIW

BC

Northern Virginia
Along with a good cleaning and a coat of wax, I inspect and re-caulk all the caulk joints as necessary . I also do this in the late Fall before winter storage.

John

lwmcguir

All great Ideas for sure. We set up in the drive way and camp out for 2-3 days. (leave everything on / running) to be sure all the systems are good. Do several walk around and check things bottom and top as well. Always find something that needs attention and sitting in the drive makes it much easier to fix/repair than on the road or in a parking lot. We always start the refrigerator and the water system first thing to be sure we have adequate time to see if there are any issues and the fridge needs a good day to reach optimum temps anyway before loading it up.

cableman

Thanks for the info. These are all good ideas, We just bought the camper last year and this is my first spring. Will be going out for the first trip in a couple of weeks and I need to get it all ready.

Jellystone

As well as everything mentioned above, also check your shower head. I went to take a shower saturday night and found out that mine developed a hairline fracture in it since our last camping trip after Christmas. We went to our local camping world (Hammond, LA) and purchased a new one. One hour and $17 later I was back to smooth showering. I thought that I had done a good systems check on everything before we left home but forgot to check the showerhead.

robnmo

Thanks for the info. These are all good ideas, We just bought the camper last year and this is my first spring. Will be going out for the first trip in a couple of weeks and I need to get it all ready.

Thank you thank you, we've done everything but kick on the 2 A/C units, our first spring with an RV also. Looks like Tue, Wed, Thur are driveway camping nights. :D

f250dieseldad

When our unit was at the dealer having the 2nd ac installed, The dealer offers a spring tune up. They pull the wheels and check the brake operation. Hand pack all the bearings, and go over the springs and hangers. Just something else to think about.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We are finally going to get some nice warm weather in Pa this weekend. It might dry up enough for me to pull the North Trail across the yard with out it sinking to the axles. That is step #1 for my spring start up.