Topkick 4500 vs Dodge Ram 3500

RoscoeP

Hello Everyone,
In December I purchased my first Heartland Cyclone 3812. After bringing it to Indinapolis from Holman RV in Ohio, we noticed how much it sat down the rear of our 03 Dodge Ram 3500. Since the truck is a 2003 we considered upgrading to a GMC Topkick 4500. Do any of you have a Topkick..if so I would love to hear from you.
RoscoeP
Indianapolis Indiana

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have an 05' Kodiak we bought new in 07'. Had a 98' Dodge 3500 prior to it...the Dodge was a great truck, but it was at it's limit with a 35 foot 5er. Decided with the Bighorn we wanted a better margin of safety and opted for the Kodiak. We've not been sorry...this truck is made for towing and, more importantly, it STOPS like nothing we've driven before. The combination of the Allison transmission and the built in exhaust brake is unbeatable! Not to mention the truck itself weighs over 11,000 lbs...the 5er isn't going to push it thru intersections like it could the Dodge, even in a panic situation.

The one thing I'd have to say I do not like about the truck...is the ride! You have to remember this truck was built to be a dump truck or a tow truck...meant to work. In addition, you will not find the fit and finish to be as nice as a production line 3500/350 truck...but I can live with that!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
RoscoeP, Im not sure if you can still get a Topkick or Kodiak, at least a new one. GM stopped making them. If you are willing to wait until this summer. You might want to look at the new Chevy/GMC 1 TN. It has a GCVWR of 27500. More HP, Torque, bigger brakes, built in exhaust brake, and a new frame. Sounds like it will be a brut. Something to ponder. Bob

RoscoeP

Thank you for the reply and we will take a look at the 1 ton when it come out. We know that the 2010 are not out, since we are just using it for the Cyclone or the horse trailer...we have found several 08 & 09 still on lots. Mainly because they want to much for them.

RoscoeP

thanks for your reply. We may have to purchased used. Same here on the marin of safety concerns because we may have 2 atv's in the garage. I do not like to be pushed through stops either. Happy camping, RoscoeP