2007 Model Questions from Prospective Buyer

GaryB

Hi - am thinking to buy a BigHorn (2925 or 3055). I have a few questions:

1. How accurate is the height measurement of 12 feet 11 1/2 inches? I am having a home built with RV Garage with 13 ft high door. Will it fit?

2. Have the A/C problems (crushed ducts, faulty seals) discussed in May 2006 forum posts been corrected in the 2007 models?

3. Is it possible to add a second A/C unit to Bedroom without increasing the height of the RV? In other words, does it have to be mounted on the roof and will it be the highest item? I've read that being over 13 ft high can cause problems at gas station overhangs, highway underpasses, etc.

4. Are the floorplans on the internet the 2006 or 2007 versions?

5. Will the shower have a seat in the 2007 models? I believe I read on this forum that the mold will be changed to add a seat?

6. Regarding Heartland's "improved turning radius nose design", does Heartland still recommend using a slider hitch in a short bed (6 1/2 ft long) truck, or is the 5er ASSURED of not being able to hit the truck cab?

Thanks
Gary

BluegrassMan

Gary B:
I can't tell you how close the Bighorn's are BUT. I have a Landmark GC, I never even looked at the height when I ordered mine. My trade in was a lighline 5ver same length, I didn't think about it. When I got the GC home and backed it in, everyone said "WHOA" you're gonna hit. Long story short, my Air conditioner just scrapes the storm flap on the top of the opening of a 13' door. My previous 5ver had the AC mounted further back on the slope of the roof. I probably had 6" clearance with that one. I also had my door re-tensioned at the spring so the door holds up and doesn't drift back down.

tcbrady

thank you for you interest in BIGHORN!

1. The height is accurate
2. Dometic has been in to our factory to audit the instalation of the A/C and we have passed
3. Not sure the answer to this question but I will find out tomorrow
4. the floorplans on the internet are all 2007
5. the 2007 models have seats in the shower
6. the front cap will allow for an 88 degree turn on a flat surface. A slider hitch is not needed with a 6.5 ft. short bed truck.

Hope this helps - if you have further questions please feel free to call me at the office tomorrow. 574-266-8726.

thanks,
Coley
GaryB said:
Hi - am thinking to buy a BigHorn (2925 or 3055). I have a few questions:

1. How accurate is the height measurement of 12 feet 11 1/2 inches? I am having a home built with RV Garage with 13 ft high door. Will it fit?

2. Have the A/C problems (crushed ducts, faulty seals) discussed in May 2006 forum posts been corrected in the 2007 models?

3. Is it possible to add a second A/C unit to Bedroom without increasing the height of the RV? In other words, does it have to be mounted on the roof and will it be the highest item? I've read that being over 13 ft high can cause problems at gas station overhangs, highway underpasses, etc.

4. Are the floorplans on the internet the 2006 or 2007 versions?

5. Will the shower have a seat in the 2007 models? I believe I read on this forum that the mold will be changed to add a seat?

6. Regarding Heartland's "improved turning radius nose design", does Heartland still recommend using a slider hitch in a short bed (6 1/2 ft long) truck, or is the 5er ASSURED of not being able to hit the truck cab?

Thanks
Gary

HappyKat

Thanks for bringing back the shower seat

As we "boomers" grow older, the limbs don't bend quite as easily. Thanks for bringing back the seat in the shower. Makes life so much easier for us!!:p

christianson

The hiegth on the 3055RL must be right I have a 13' door in my shed but opening measures 12'11" trailer would sgues through had to move tracks up 5" cut header out 3 1/2 inches to get trailer in shed major job.

vangoes

Height

It certainly appears that the BH's are 3 - 4 inches higher than many other brands of 5vers. Like others have said, I really did not pay much attention to the height when I bought my unit. To further complicate things, I had the max air vent covers installed on the bath and bedroom vents. Does anyone know for sure if this has added any height to my unit. Visually it looks like it has but eyeballing can be deceiving. I had a mishap in my previous MH and crunched my air conditioner cover on a low overpass outside of Chattanooga. Fortuantely I was able to stop before more damage was done; but I really do not want to experience that again.

jpmorgan37

Vangoes;

Get a laser level and get on top of you fifth wheel. Shoot a line to the side of a building from the top of your max air vent. Then measure from the ground up to your spot where the laser hit. You will know the exact height then.

John

tdharley

If you are really looking to get to the 1/4" on the measurement , don't forget that when your hitched your height might be different then when unhitched. It is hard to tell but if you look at my rig in my signature, it is out of level by a 1/2 a bubble. Since the air conditioner is mounted forward of the trailer wheels that is going to make adifference.

As for the Maxx air vent covers, I hope they are not going to add too much height. I am adding all 3 & changing my fans to Fantastic fans this weekend. Since the air condoitioner seems to be at the highest point and is taller than the vent covers I doubt there will be a problem.

I use the laser line method with my surveying pole. I will recheck it after I get done this weekend.

vangoes

I believe the bottom line here is "If its under 13' don't go there" and if its between 13' and 13.5' be very very careful. Thats my thoughts.

tdharley

I noticed just recently in my home town they were resurfacing the road. In one area there is a low railroad bridge. As of yet I have not seen them change the 12'8" sign. The new asphalt must be 2-3" higher then before, which makes the bridge 12'5"

Be Careful

Not that I would ever try a 12'8" road.

Pulltab

We are buying a 2925 and I also hope the measurement is correct as I have a 13' limitation. :eek:

jpmorgan37

Just another thought, if you have a Dodge Tow Vehicle, you will probably be over the 13 foot limit because they sit higher in the back.
John