Trailer Backing

truknutt

Committed Member
I have the fundamentals down ; it's just the "blind-side" that keeps me on edge. I learned a long time ago the value of a "Ground Guide". We have worked out our communications skills over the years; basically she talks, I listen! So far no accidents.

Bighurt

I have about 6 yrs of experience backing a 40' flat typically to aircraft but not always. I've fallen into back window backing not something you can do with a 5th or a box van.

A spotter can be a world of difference.

Do you guys use any form of communication or just loud voices. I had considered a pair of handheld's but was just curious if they make a difference.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We use a pair of Cobra personal radios. Wife behind the rig and me at the wheel. Before I back in, though, I get out and survey the spot so I have a picture of where I want to be and any obstructions. Then I specify to her where I want the rig to end up. Works pretty good. Once in position, she takes the wheel and moves straight back/forth a little while I place the leveling boards, etc.

Manuevering the BH is easier than our HazMat tractor/trailer. A 34ft beer trailer with a Spartan tractor. The wheels on the trailer are right at the back bumper, so it can be a real PITA to get it where you want it and turning tight corners.

branson4020

Icantre Member
We use a pair of Cobra personal radios. Wife behind the rig and me at the wheel. Before I back in, though, I get out and survey the spot so I have a picture of where I want to be and any obstructions. Then I specify to her where I want the rig to end up. Works pretty good. Once in position, she takes the wheel and moves straight back/forth a little while I place the leveling boards, etc.

Manuevering the BH is easier than our HazMat tractor/trailer. A 34ft beer trailer with a Spartan tractor. The wheels on the trailer are right at the back bumper, so it can be a real PITA to get it where you want it and turning tight corners.

BEER is a hazardous material? OMG!!

SilverRhino

Our procedure is fairly simple:
1) Make sure radios are on and on the same channel
2) Both review the site and possible obstructions....Don't forget to look up!
3) Determine the spot where we will want the drivers side trailer tires to end up.
4) Wife lets me know positions of rear corners of trailer in feet from obstructions etc.
5) When in dought.....stop....get out of TV and look situation over.
6) When in site....pull forward and back up a couple of times to equalize stress on axles.
7) Use awning rod that is marked with tape to insure slide out clearance.
8) Block as needed.

Main thing is to take your time and when in doubt......STOP and look the situation over carefully. Another trick that I learned at a very young age....put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel when backing. The rear of the trailer will go in the direction you move your hand.

Travel Safe!

Bighurt

The wheels on the trailer are right at the back bumper, so it can be a real PITA to get it where you want it and turning tight corners.

I consider it easier with the wheels at the back bumper, particularly when making that load dock. With the RV and overhang you have two points to watch where you want the trailer to go and where the wheels need to go, this is really only pertinent when backing around a corner and having to get it between the goal posts...

I hate to back using the passenger side mirrors...

robnmo

We've got our system down already. I've spent yrs pulling and backing 30+ ft boat's and trailers, so we practiced the other day while the campground is empty. I spent 45 minutes explaining to the wife the do's and dont's, watch this and that, etc, then I spent 30 minutes backing into a camp spot (wow how different the RV is than a boat) so I let her try (prepared to bite my tongue and keep my cool). She spent 5 minutes and parked it perfect, went to a new spot with different angle..........she did better, tried a 3rd spot........one try and she was in like a pro. So I've decided I'll drive if I have to, then she can drive AND park it while I set on the picnic table and guard the hazmat material from the Coors brewery. :D Maybe I'll just take care of the laundry, and I really have no problem with that. ;)

RoadJunkie

We also have our system down to a science. We both review the backing site thoroughly, we carefully discuss approach and possible hazards, we agree on exactly where we want to place the wheels. I get back into the truck, carefully review the mirrors for adjustment and my wife goes to the back of the trailer...and hides. I have no idea where she goes, but she drops off the face of the earth. I do the typical yaw and fro around the mirrors carefully, like doppler radar, seeking some sign of her. I yell out the truck window that I can't see her, and all I hear is a faint "what?" It truly is a (now) comical phenomenon.

CrazyScotsman

I just back into anything and everything, that way i don't have to pay attention about backing up. I deal with the consequences after all the damage is done. :)
In all honesty the tighter the spot to get backed into, the easier it is for me. You pay more attention on a tight spot than you do on an easy spot. There again i've been driving a semi since 1978, so that helps me , but there is some days I can't back up to save myself, you would think I was fresh out of truck driving school. Still learn something new everyday after all these years.

2010augusta

We also have our system down to a science. We both review the backing site thoroughly, we carefully discuss approach and possible hazards, we agree on exactly where we want to place the wheels. I get back into the truck, carefully review the mirrors for adjustment and my wife goes to the back of the trailer...and hides. I have no idea where she goes, but she drops off the face of the earth. I do the typical yaw and fro around the mirrors carefully, like doppler radar, seeking some sign of her. I yell out the truck window that I can't see her, and all I hear is a faint "what?" It truly is a (now) comical phenomenon.
I think My wife must hang out with your wife, cause she does the hide from the mirrors trick every time I have to back the Landmark.

Jellystone

My wife & I do pretty good at the "back 'em up". She gets out of the truck and stands at the back of the trailer where I can see her in a mirror. I then call her on her cell phone and she calmly tells me which way she needs the rear of the 5th wheel to go, & I steer accordingly. Of course we do a walk around the site together before starting to back in & discuss where the tires need to be located when finished. The kids know to be quiet during this time while concentrating.

porthole

Retired
If you are using radios both parties need to practice, especially if you are not accustomed to them. People speaking before the radio even keys up is a common issue. Sometimes the word STOP is spoken before the radios have a chance to even connect.

Radios are a good tool, but if you are using a back up person and you can't see that person in the mirror then your foot needs to stay on the brake.

My job requires that whenever backing we have a backup person. We all have our ways but my procedure is the passenger gets out and goes to the left rear side of the rig, near the corner. I want my backup person to move where he/she want the rear of the rig and when that person goes out of sight in the mirrors I don't move until they walk back into view.

Just about a year ago I went to the funeral for an Elizabeth, NJ veteran firefighter close to retirement. The engine pulled up on a working fire, the FF got out to back his driver into position, the backer slipped on the ice, the driver didn't see him and ran over the FF, killing him instantly. One FF lost and another's life ruined.

Be careful.

Make it clear to your spouse that you will not move if you can't see him/her.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
When backing into our driveway the radios are not useful because of the keying delay Duane brought up. I'm putting a 32 foot trailer in 34 foot driveway, not a lot of room to play with. The last few feet backing in are done in inches. By the time she could key the radio and say stop, I could hit the garage. We use the "wife always visible in left mirror - standing about 3 feet to the side of where the left rear corner needs to end up" technique (with my left ffot ALWAYS on the brake) to achieve the last few feet.

BruteForce

We too have tried two-way radios with the same result you mentioned. Our rig is 42' long. I can barely see the wife back there. While I have over 10' of space in the rear, I usually only have 1-2' of space on each side of the 5'er. The only method that works is to have the wife stand where I can see her and use hand signals to coordinate backing the 5'er in. I should take a photo next time.. the angle and tight fit are astonishing! It's amazing I haven't taken out my fence(s), garage or storage canopy yet.

When backing into our driveway the radios are not useful because of the keying delay Duane brought up. I'm putting a 32 foot trailer in 34 foot driveway, not a lot of room to play with. The last few feet backing in are done in inches. By the time she could key the radio and say stop, I could hit the garage. We use the "wife always visible in left mirror - standing about 3 feet to the side of where the left rear corner needs to end up" technique (with my left ffot ALWAYS on the brake) to achieve the last few feet.