RV fire at a Gas Station

SmokeyBare

This story comes from Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana. The story...

" An Indiana couple’s RV caught fire at a Barrow Street gas station Wednesday,
burning for about a half hour as spilled fuel and a propane tank on the vehicle
fed the flames. "

The Link: http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20100325/ARTICLES/100329598?tc=ar

RV Fire..jpg

The RV involved in the Fire was not a Fifth Wheel or a Trailer, but was a class B van type. It could happen to anyone who accidently spills gasoline when filling a vehicle. The story states that no one was injured.

Stories of fires at gas stations appear from time to time. Several causes I'm sure, Smoking while fueling, using a cell phone I've read about, static electric spark, plastic bed liners & plastic fuel containers.

Just something to keep in mind while your pulling into a Gas Station. Something to remember to do if your one who travels with the Fridge running on propane.

Stay Safe Heartlanders ! Make this a accident free year.

Marv

Cimriver

Gotta keep the Ice Cream frozen!

The driver of the Class B reported that the fuel handle was locked in the on position and began pumping gas as soon as he selected the fuel type spewing gas everywhere. First time I have heard of this happening, but something to think about.

I always hate it when my cell phone rings while I am pumping fuel!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I saw an episode of the show Mythbusters on television that showed that a cell phone wouldn't ignite gasoline fumes. I'm not going to experiment to verify it.

2010augusta

It looks like a newer class-B, I can't believe the the refer would not be a DSI unit and it would still have a standing pilot light.

Didn't Myth-busters also drop a cigarette and a flaming match into a toilet filled with gas and have not have a fire?

wdk450

I don't know how common these fires are, but have you ever watched the refueling proceedure on a jet as you sit at the gate? First and last step is to connect/disconnect an electrical ground cable to the aircraft from the fueling truck. I saw somewhere that a person fueling a vehicle should touch the vehicle chassis with their hand while holding the gas filler BEFORE touching the filler to the car. Also touch the vehicle when removing the filler nozzle. This eliminates static sparks.
It seems that fuel flowing through the filler hoses builds up a static charge.
It is also recommended that you NOT re-enter (sit) your vehicle during fueling as sliding on a seat can build up a static charge.