Bighorn Height / Clearance Question

GaryB

Hi - am considering a Bighorn. They are listed as being 12 ft 11.5 inches high. Does this present a problem at gas station overhangs, highway underpasses, campgrounds or even 13 ft high garage doors?

Also, I saw a previous thread where somebody added a second A/C and said it didn't increase the height at all. Is that possible?

Thanks
Gary

K

Ken Washington

Gary,
I have had no problem with our Grand Caynon and always watch for anything that might be too low. The second A/C is a low profile and sits lower than the main unit.
Ken

jcd8822

Joseph
We have the 2006 3500RL and we never have any problems. We traveled in the northeast U.S. and the eastern provinces of Canada. If it is a really old service station you might not be able to get under, but it will be obvious . We did learn that if the pipe hanging over the entrance of Wal Mart says 12' 6" do not try it, even if an old motor coach is driving under it. We cracked the housing of the bedroom A/C unit and it blew off further down the highway. LOL We have a new rule, "If it does not say 13" or highter, we do not attempt it."

phranc

Of course all interstate highways are well over 13'6" and the odd old time gas/fuel stop may be questionable , but you probably won't fuel up there any way.All 'modern' fuel stops are well over 13'6".. Campgrounds if you are not familiar with the layout , you gotta' be careful..If it's your garage, just measure it.. My BH is 13'1" and the only time I have to be careful is a new campground..

timk

GaryB said:
Hi - am considering a Bighorn. They are listed as being 12 ft 11.5 inches high. Does this present a problem at gas station overhangs, highway underpasses, campgrounds or even 13 ft high garage doors?

Also, I saw a previous thread where somebody added a second A/C and said it didn't increase the height at all. Is that possible?

Thanks
Gary

Gary,
If the signs says 13' I'd close my eyes and hold my breath. If it says 14' we go around, with our dish we are 13'6", and haven't had any problems other than trimming some trees. Round tunnels tend to worry me. You just never know where they measured it.
We have noticed that if the gas station is big enough to get in and out, its most likely tall enough also.
TimK

Trap

When it comes to fuel fill ups we always try to find truck stops to fill up. You know you won't have any problems and there's lot's of room.

TRap

ct0218

You have a little more time to consider height when it's a station, etc., but not on the road at 60 mph! I carry my laptop with me and one of the bookmarks on my browser is titled "low clearances". It is the website aitaonline.com, for truckers, and lists all low bridge clearances. If you don't have an air card, or carry a laptop with you, you can always access the info prior to your trip and check for problem clearances.

DennisZ

Clark
Can you post the link for the bridge clearances, I couldn't find it on the AITA site.

Thanks

Bridge Clearence

Have a Big Horn, have been under bridge that said 13 feet,(N. Ga.) real slow, another in Nova Scoia said 3.9 Meters, stopped and looked had some one watch as we went under. Had to do the math real fast so better to stop and be sure rather than sorry. Robert

ChopperBill

Ever notice most manufactures put the A/C at or near the peak of the roof. Wonder why they don't mount it on the lower parts?

jbeletti

Hi Bill,

I think the reason is so that it can be centered in the bedroom and to dump 100% of the chilled air straight out of the unit (i.e. non-ducted).

Not sure what brand, but I have seen trailers where 2 units were really close to each other on the lower part. I assume that one of them is ducted to the bedroom.

Jim