tire heat sensing devise

Bobby A

I have heard of people having these Non contact infrared Thermometers, I seen one at Home Depot for $30.00 its made by Ryobi, does anyone have any experiance with these little gadgets ?? Do they work ?? and are they accurate ?? Would like to monitor the heat of my tires on my B/H every couple of hours of travel.

RoadJunkie

The infra red pyrometers measure the surface temperature of tires and the surface changes temperature rather quickly. Knowing this, you will have to be a quick-draw to get the most useful information. Now, what do you do with the data? Race drivers measure the inside, outside and middle of the tire and, to them, the data guides modifications to pressure, suspension, etc. to maximize overall efficiency. It's important to have the tire manufactures temperature guidelines before any useful purpose can be realized by using the pyrometer. Using web explanation:

Center of tire is hotter than edges
Tire pressure too high. Reduce 1 psi for each 5' F delta.

Edges of tire is hotter than center
Tire pressure too low. Add 1 psi for each 5' F delta.

Inner edge is hotter than outer edge
Too much negative camber.

Outer edge is hotter than inner edge
Not enough negative camber or too much toe-in.

Tire is below ideal temperature range
Tire pressure too high, tire too wide, or springs/sway bars too stiff at that axle.

Tire is above ideal temperature range
Tire pressure too low, tire too narrow, or springs/sway bars too soft at that axle.

Bobby A

The infra red pyrometers measure the surface temperature of tires and the surface changes temperature rather quickly. Knowing this, you will have to be a quick-draw to get the most useful information. Now, what do you do with the data? Race drivers measure the inside, outside and middle of the tire and, to them, the data guides modifications to pressure, suspension, etc. to maximize overall efficiency. It's important to have the tire manufactures temperature guidelines before any useful purpose can be realized by using the pyrometer. Using web explanation:

Center of tire is hotter than edges
Tire pressure too high. Reduce 1 psi for each 5' F delta.

Edges of tire is hotter than center
Tire pressure too low. Add 1 psi for each 5' F delta.

Inner edge is hotter than outer edge
Too much negative camber.

Outer edge is hotter than inner edge
Not enough negative camber or too much toe-in.

Tire is below ideal temperature range
Tire pressure too high, tire too wide, or springs/sway bars too stiff at that axle.

Tire is above ideal temperature range
Tire pressure too low, tire too narrow, or springs/sway bars too soft at that axle.

WOW, that is alot of info, thanks very much

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We also have purchased the TST tire pressure and Temperature Monitoring System. It is wireless and moves through each tire as you go down the road. DW has taken it over and tells me what pressure we have and the Temp. It will not prevent a blowout but could let you know of any problems leading up to one. You can set the alarms yourself to any temp and pressure.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have one, used it the first year and have not used it since. This winter put on air pressure sensors that measure temperature on the tires. Air pressure is more important!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have an IR temp gauge and I use it sometimes. I find it interesting to measure the side of the trailer on the various colors. They all register a different temp. Don't forget to measure the wheel bearing also.

lwmcguir

Tire temperature is important as is the pressure. Pressure first then the temp as far as monitoring. You will find the tires in the Sun on a warm day to operate at much higher temperatures. You are really looking for the extreme and can accomplish this by touching the sidewall when you stop for fuel or at a rest area. The tire that is quite a bit warmer than the mates has an issue. Could be anything as the earlier post suggest. Figure out why that tire is warmer and save problems down the road. Temp gun is nice but not necessary to avoid problems. The real time monitors are great as they tell you before you stop if you have a serious problem.