Torque Wrenches

jcarnevale

Not sure were to put this post....

What torque wrenches are you guys using out there......?

They list from $30 to $3000 ! Do you get what you pay for or is a 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - 25-250 ft/lbs worth $70 ?

and will it be accurate?

Jay

RoadJunkie

Jay, one must define "accurate". If you're torquing lug bolts on a truck, say 165 ft. pounds, do you care if the accuracy of your measurement is, say, + 1.5%? + 2%? More? I have a Husky 1/2" drive and Husky 3/8" drive set of torque wrenches, (Your Home Depot) and I find them to be close enough for government work. They are certainly more accurate then my guess-timating the proper torque. There are those that will tell you they can't live without the "Binford" model 212, gold edition, National Bureau of Standards certified, digital readout, tone vs. click, torque wrench, but I'm just fine with my HD Husky wrenches.

jcarnevale

RoadJunkie, thanks for the reply. I just need a quality wrench that will torque pinbox bolts, lug nuts, frame and suspension bolts.. etc. Your response is what I was hoping for and not having to go spend an arm and a leg for a wrench. My Home Depot has that wrench for $80. I was looking at the torque setting for the grade 8 hardware that connects the fifth wheel bracket to the frame at 212 Ft-lbs.

trvlrerik

I have the cheapest 1/2" non digital torque wrench from Craftsman for my hitch and lug nut needs, it stays in my toolbox. I have my digital in my garage for accurate needs.

I think I paid around $60 for the crafstman, around $600 for a J.H. Williams. It depends on how accurate you want to be.

davebennington

My wife purchased a Kobalt wrench from Lowes it appears to work just fine, I think it cost about $90.00. You always have to remember to reset it back to zero before putting it away.

Dave

Bighurt

Industry standard is 4% clockwise 6% counterclockwise.

I find a I need three; one capable of 40-200 ft lbs another 50-500 in lbs and a tiny 10-50 in lbs. Depending on your job and use you may not need a tiny wrench. However lug nuts are 105 ft lbs and greater and intake manifold is 20 ft lbs and less meaning you need two as they don't make one with the range.

Keep in mind the lower 20% is not accurate by the industry standard, or 25% on screwdriver type.

Zeroing the wrench in storage or storing at its lowest setting relieves the pressure off the spring, This ensures it will maintain the calibration longer.

Most wrenches when properly used will maintain their calibration without adjustment for years. Some of the smaller break type seam to wear out faster, and slip type are notorious for going bad. A dial indicating or beam deflecting are probably the best choice for a minimal used wrench. They are also the cheapest.

Remember that torquing a bolt is not just to ensure its tight but in some cases to prevent over tighten damage. Example would be lug nuts, if over torqued can warp a rotor.

SilverRhino

I have a Central Tool ft. lb. torque wrench that goes from 1 to 250 ft lbs.....the wrench is almost thirty years old....checked calibration at loval Peterbilt shop last year and it was still righ on. I keep it in a case that has a foam cut out and have always dialed it down to zero for storage. My inch lb wrench is a Crafstman goes from 1 to 250 inch lbs.....it is only about ten years old and is still within specs....store it the same way.

Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.........Travel Safe!