Queen Mattress

8paws

The foam mattress, North Trail puts in the North Trail is rather uncomfortable. Can you put in a regular queen size mattress without having any problems. I am aware you can add a topper, but what about a areal mattress:confused:

jimtoo

Hi 8paws,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Most of the RV mattress's are shorter than the "real" ones. I do not know about the North Trails for sure, or if you would have enough room for one, so I would suggest you measure what you have and compare. A good foam topper is not hard to cut and make the right size to fit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

irvin56

Depends on the yr it was built. They started with full beds, like our unit, now they are shorter.
You will have to measure size and see if you can find one that size. Some manufacturers do make smaller size mattress's. Have to ask at a bedding store as they may be able to tell you who to contact. I know some owners have added length to bed frame to get a full size standard bed.
Good luck with your choice of mattress.

We just bought a 2" memory topper for ours and that is good for us

Wharton

I am confused. are you saying the queen bed is really a full-size bed and they call it a queen or are you saying the queen bed is a "short" queen.

M

Mcreech

The standard foam bed we us is 60x74 and we have pillow top option that is 60x78....These fit without doing anything to the bed box......I believe a home queen is 60x80.......The bed box will hold the queen bed, it just will be hard to get to the storage that is under the front on the bed.....Hope this helps

MikeC

fishrag_1

8paws --
Yes you can add a regular queen mattress. We have the 21fbs and I replaced the lift up part of the bedframe with a longer piece (since the underbed storage is very limited) and we added a new full queen pillow top.

irvin56

sorry, mine is 78" bed. I thought it was full size.

I did not measure a home mattress as my topper was bought as a queen and it fit nicely with out cutting end off

RVCamper

We replaced our standard bed in our 31QBS with at memory foam & real coil spring mattress. It came rolled up and vacuum bagged. You open it up and it expands in about 24hrs to a normal bed. This makes it easy to get the bed in the bedroom. It is larger (longer) than the standard factory foam bed, but the bed is awesome now!

techman

The standard foam bed we us is 60x74 and we have pillow top option that is 60x78....These fit without doing anything to the bed box......I believe a home queen is 60x80.......The bed box will hold the queen bed, it just will be hard to get to the storage that is under the front on the bed.....Hope this helps

We had the 74" mattress but I replaced the lift up storage lid with a longer board by 6" giving us the full 80". I used 3/4" birch plywood for the lid that is still strong enough to support large adults sitting on the longer overhang at the bottom of the bed. We extended the existing mattress with padding at the top and added a queen size memory foam topper. At some point we plan to replace it with a queen size pillow top mattress but for now it work quite well. A bonus for us was that the extra length of the lid gives us a wide overhang at the bottom of the bed to store a cooler, foot stool, shoes, etc under the edge of the bed and out of the way.

Mike

kinports

Hi all,

My wife and I asked our dealer about putting a every day mat. in our cyclone, they said the weight of an everyday mat. would damage the slide out rails. I dont know if this is true but you may want to get some info before you spend money. The 2011 cyclone now come with pillow top mats.

Happy Camp-n
Shane

SmokeyBare

Shane,

In my opinion, the dealer is wrong ! The additional weight of a mattress will not damage the slide rails or any part of the bedroom slide room. Many have changed there mattress, some even going to one of the heavier memory foam type. Select a mattress that you like and make the change !

TeJay

Hi,
Not new to RV-ing but new to the TT life. We just ordered our NT-24-RBS. My 2-cents worth. We have had 2 MH's and in both homes we replaced the original mattress's with an inflatable air mattress and have found them to be very comfortable and also much lighter than the original. Our first one back in 77 was just that an air mattress from some camping store but over the years these types of mattresses have been vastly improved for ease of inflation and comfort. I also realize that not all will be comfortable with an air mattress but it might be an option for some.

TeJay

Hi 8paws,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Most of the RV mattress's are shorter than the "real" ones. I do not know about the North Trails for sure, or if you would have enough room for one, so I would suggest you measure what you have and compare. A good foam topper is not hard to cut and make the right size to fit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M full size bed dimensions
We purchased a new camper with a "Queen Mattress" which is definitely like sleeping on the ground. What I was wondering is if a camper mattress has the same dimensions as a regular bedroom mattress.