Newbie undecided between 2011 28BRS & 31QBS

scormier

I'm on the market to buy a new TT (first one), we've done the tenting thing for the past 12 years or so and the family really enjoys it but trying to camp around the weather in Newfoundland Canada is a pain sometimes. We have 2 young kids (8 & 2) and thought it was a good time to move into a TT. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6L w tow package (standard pkg in NL) and is listed with 8300 tow rating. We really like the North Trail 31QBS but I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the length of almost 34' vs the 28brs at 32'...the dry weight is a little less on the 28brs but max weight the same at 6900lbs for both.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated...look forward to be in a North Trail this year.

jimtoo

HI scormier,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am moving the thread to the North Trail area where you should get more answers from the North Trail owners.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

scormier

Thanks Jimtoo, hope to be owning one before "May Run Weekend"...little nervous of parking (backing into site) at campground, moved alot of small boat trailers and snowmobile trailers but nothing that's 32 or 34' in lenght.

irvin56

2 foot difference is no big difference in towing and parking, but site selection may be diff. And were you park trailer when storing it.
Mine costs me $2.00 more per month as i have to park in a larger spot at storage compaired to a 28 footer.
As most camp grounds have spots for certain lenghts. I always say My 31Qbs is (34 ft.) 36 foot. I get a little bigger sites, easier to manuver into and extra parking of TV.

As far as selection, GET THE one you like and not what would be nice. As you will be second quessing your choice all the time.
As far as same GVWR. That goes by axle rating and # of axles, 1-2 or 3

DJC523

We were down to the same two choices. Went with the 31QBS because of the rear bunk room (for the grandkids and their parents) :) Also liked the sofa across from the dinette instead of next to it for group conversation. But the lack of kitchen storage is a bit of a drawback...

scormier

Thanks for your feedback Irvin & DJC...great idea with the campsite site selection Irvin, I'll remember to use that white lie :) I was concerned with parking the TT at the house but figured that 2' extra makes no big difference, neighbors will just have to put up with my TT parked in my front yard. Anyways happy to report that we've taken the plunge and purchased the 31qbs, seeing that we still have snow here in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, the dealer has agreed to keep the TT until early May...can't wait. Oh and by the way DJC, ssshhh don't need the mrs to have an excuse to complain about the kitchen storage in the TT ;) right now she knows no different, we used a couple of storage bins when tenting for kitchen storage.

jimtoo

Quote "ssshhh don't need the mrs to have an excuse to complain about the kitchen storage in the TT right now she knows no different, we used a couple of storage bins when tenting for kitchen storage." :D

Yeah,,, right,,, storage bins in your new TT for the kitchen storage,,, :D,, right ,,, what planet did you fall off of????:D Never happen!!!! :D

Jim M

scormier

:confused:Pardon my dry humor...just meant that our past kitchen storage was in storage bins while tenting. I'm sure the mrs will be happy with any storage the 31qbs has, as long as it no longer the storage bins.:p

MrsChrispy

Queen of the Black Tank
Welcome scormier! I'm sure your wife will be thrilled with *any* amount of storage that your 31QBS will offer. We used to have a Rockwood TT that had insane amounts of storage space in the kitchen.. big enough to keep 4 or 5 large bins of kitchen items stored nicely in the cabinets. We sold that trailer and tent camped for a year or so -- I went NUTS trying to organize items in bins (what a pain to load and unload them into the truck for EVERY trip!).

Now that our 21FBS is on order, it appears that the current kitchen may not have as much space for the large bins kitchen items are currently stored in.. necessitating me to buy smaller "bins" to fit in the cabinets.. leaving the larger camping bins for my husband to use for storage of garage items, etc. I haven't figured out how to store things behind/in cabinets without them slinging/knocking around when the trailer is being towed.. just something that worked for us!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our daughter and son-in-law just bought a Trail Runner 30FQBS. They love it. Take a look at the Trail Runner for a beginner (entry level) TT. It has tons of storage and 4 bunks in the back for the kids.

hbjersurf

I had the same issue. Made the call today and went with the 28RBS. Expect delivery in 5-8 weeks! My wife, kids, and dog are all very excited.