new fifth wheel hitch

angel

new to the 5th wheel hitches and want to get your opinions on a Robin Industrial 16k pivit hitch if anyone has one do they like or dislike .This hitch is worth $400 to 450
and it alway makes me wonder why its cheaper than other ,the hitch seems very well made just wonderig if anyone has any experience with this type ( pivit compare to slide)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
angel, I am a believer in you get what you pay for. I have never heard of Robin Industrial, but that is not to say anything bad about it. I just have not heard about them.
There are plenty of manufacturers out there. Personally I would stick with one that is proven to be good.
Look HERE for some hitch info.

Peace
Dave

Pizzaguy

I think angel was talking about the Robins Industries hitch. I have had a Robins 15k hitch but it was not the pivot one in his original post.I sold my 15k and installed a Curt 20K which I love.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Before we can give you any advice it would help to know about your TV. Length of bed is very important. What is the GVW of the trailer you plan to purchase.

As you can see in my signature I have a F250 Long Bed Diesel. Trailer is a 3400RE Bighorn. The Max weight of the trialer is 14,800. 15% for pin weight would be about 2,200# and 20% would be about 2960# Pin weight.

My B&W Companion is rated at 18,000# and the gooseneck (part of the hitch. You need both to make the fifth wheel) is rated at 30,000#. I can pull a travel trailer, Gooseneck and a 5th wheel.

If you have a short bed you might want a slider hitch, and the B&W is not one.

FWIW
BC

angel

I have a short box on my truck ,the trailer's gvwr is 13500 the hitch is rated for 16000
very well made .I am new to this 5th wheel hookup ,my friend has a slide hitch and it is made just as good quality but it is the movement it makes.when you want it to move back you unlock it pull your truck ahead and it pivit on the four arms and move towards the back of the truck 9.5 inches.the thing that bothers me when it pivit it has to raise up approx. 1 to2 inches and set back down I was just wondering if someone had this type hitch they could tell me how smooth this move would be. thanks for the reply. makeshttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/robin-pivit-16k-5th-wheel-hitch/37068

RollingHome

Angel, You may want to check out the Pull-Rite Super Slide hitches. You do not need to do anything when you turn. Just drive the TV, as you turn the TV/RV the carriage slides back automatically for TV cab/RV clearance. They make a 14K, 18K and 24K hitches. A companion plate gets attached to the kingpin plate on the RV. This companion plate has a raised "Vee" area which engages the actual fifth wheel plate on the hitch. As you turn the unit the rotation rotates the actual fifth wheel plate on the hitch and the carriage slides back on rails. One has to keep the rails lubricated with a dry graphite spray every long trip which pull-rite sells for about $12.00. The hitch can later be installed in a 8' long bed. Has anyone tried the Hemsley air hitch ? Would you suggest Angel check those out too ? I know it's not good with a short bed, but with BH's 85 degree patented turn radius... The Hemsley looks like a quality hitch, well engineered.