Forum Concerns

PSF513

Not sure if this is the right place but wanted to voice concerns since the reformatting of the website. I may be the only one but I find the new site much more difficult to work on and with. I have trouble finding items. I don't want anyone to think I am bad-mouthing the entire upgrade because I see some really good things also. I just find it more time consuming and frustrating trying to find info.:confused:

THANKS

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pete, the forum is the right place to voice your concerns. I have to agree that it is a lot different than what we were used to, and I hated it at the begining. However, after a lot of under my breath unmentionable words, I think that I am getting used to it and finding it easier to use the more I use it.
There are some things I would like to see changed, but I will work with it a while longer.
So I think if you keep on plugging along, you might get used to it and it will become easier.
Good luck.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

I have a little trouble also. Seems to be a little complex or I am just getting old. Hey, it still free so I deal with it.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It is more complex, but it is also more versatile. I know as a Chapter Leader I'm able to get member lists, etc, much more easily than with the previous software. And, I'm able to do that with much more functionality (sorting, etc). However, it definitely has a steeper learning curve and it does take a little more time to find specific threads.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Pete
I normally don't do a lot of hunting. (trying to find something).. If I want to keep a thread or a subject I will make a directory on my hard drive and put a short cut to the thread. Example, would be if a thread was talking about the hot water heater I would put a shortcut to that thread in a folder under D:\Bighorn\hot water heater\ ... Such as this.

I have tried to make a search and have not found the subject I wanted.

If you have a question or problem there are others having the same problem. Lets run an experiment...
What were you looking for? Be as specific as you can and we will see if we can come up with some techniques to find the subject. This way we can all learn. And if there is a problem then the admin can make a correction. With all the sources here someone should come up with a good idea.

I think this will be a very informative thread.

BC

jbeletti

Not sure if this is the right place but wanted to voice concerns since the reformatting of the website. I may be the only one but I find the new site much more difficult to work on and with. I have trouble finding items. I don't want anyone to think I am bad-mouthing the entire upgrade because I see some really good things also. I just find it more time consuming and frustrating trying to find info.:confused:

THANKS

Hi Bob,

If you will be at the SC or NC rallies, I'd be happy to sit with you for a bit to help out on navigating the forum. Through that, I may learn a few things too. If there is a better way and if we can change things, we're willing to do so. Only if we've made it inviting to use, will any of us get anything out of it.

Thank you for sharing.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have to admit that this version has a steeper learning curve, but after sitting down with Jim B for about 5 minutes now I like it better. I am sure if you are going to be at the National Rally there will be a seminar on the forum and how to use it. Right Jim?

jbeletti

... I am sure if you are going to be at the National Rally there will be a seminar on the forum and how to use it. Right Jim?

Great question Jim. The answer is YES. linuxkidd will be at the rally in Nashville and he will be doing a seminar on the forum.

Jim

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have to agree there is a considerable learning curve. I am very much a "1-click" person. I dont have patience to learn everything this forum is capable of so unlike Gus I have not utilized to its fullest.

I think linuxkidd has done a remarkable job changing the format with minimal downtime and addressing all the concerns while working through the bugs.

Pete, hopefully through pure repetition you will find it easier to navigate through all this. On the bright side, at the SC Rally, JimB's trailer is directly accross the road from you. Maybe a visit at 3am can get you some one on one time with him.:D

davebennington

Jim,

Do you think it would be possible to do a mini seminar at SC rally and or the East Coast Rally? I think it would be helpful for a lot of people.

Dave

jbeletti

I have to agree there is a considerable learning curve. I am very much a "1-click" person. I dont have patience to learn everything this forum is capable of so unlike Gus I have not utilized to its fullest....

Good point Larry. As we continue to add more and more tools for owners, there will be tools that some will have no interest in. This is natural. For those who can get something out of this tool or that - perfect. For those who want to come here just to read the forum itself - that's awesome too.

Jim

SilverRhino

As with anything new...there is that dreaded learning curve. The more I use the new upgrade the more I like it. Compared to other forum sites that I use...this is definitely one of the better ones. Hand in there...it will come.

Travel Safe!

PSF513

Thanks everyone. I feel far less alone. No smarter, but less alone. I just need to keep plugging.

JIM: I think Larry may have a point about the 3 AM visit except it will probably be around 4 AM as that is my normal rising time (NOT!)

See you in SC and Rodanthe

Cimriver

I'll tell you one thing that bothers me. When you click on the "New Posts" button you have to look at a whole list of all of the heartland Brands added a facebook page, before you get to the posts. I saw them, that's great and all. Now could they please go away?

I know I'm a little picky, but it bugs me.

jimtoo

All you need to do is click on that page or visit the page it will not reappear. That link shows the post you have not visited and it is just doing it's job. You could also visit the "What's New" link and then click on the "Mark Forums Read" link to make all that you have not visited disappear.

Jim M

jbeletti

I'll tell you one thing that bothers me. When you click on the "New Posts" button you have to look at a whole list of all of the heartland Brands added a facebook page, before you get to the posts. I saw them, that's great and all. Now could they please go away?

I know I'm a little picky, but it bugs me.

After you follow the links to the Facebook page and Become a Fan of each, they go away.

:) Just kidding.

jimtoo is right. Click on them and they will go away as they are no longer new to you.

But since you asked so nicely - I went in to each of them and end-dated them all, 14-days after they were created. That won't take them out of your "What's New" list but they will no longer appear at the top of their brand page as an announcement, after their now shortened expiration date.

Thanks for letting us know how you feel. Change was made based on it.

Jim

jimtoo

Jim B or LK, I was looking around the forum and the Heartland Owners Album. The pictures are so large you cannot view them. Is there some way they could automatically be resized to about 640X480, or something in that area where they would be viewable and look good. Something like Photobucket uses would be good.

Jim M